16- The Shadow of the Past

"That name the hobbits only knew in legends of the dark past, like a shadow in the background of their memories; but it was ominous and disquieting."

-J.R.R. Tolkien

~Back in time~

A young man walked calmly through the forest, feet hardly making a sound on the dense, leave-filled ground. Dark eyes set firmly on a point directly in front of him, hands stuffed into the pockets of his torn tweed coat. He glided across the well-worn path quickly, but quietly, his steps sure and precise.

"Nice to see you've joined us," came a voice, harsh and hollow, brushing past his ear and making a shiver run down his back. He stopped in the middle of a clearing. Dark pine trees rose towards the gray sky, reaching towards the clouds in despair. The shadows around him extended, reaching towards the man with smokey fingers.

"I was nearly banished," he replied, looking towards the trees in front of him, "the townspeople are beginning to become suspicious."

"Good, good," the voice replied, "that was suspected."

"They must not learn of this," the young man hissed back, desperation slowly creeping into his voice.

"Oh, but they must," the voice cackled back, "You cannot expect to continue on, acting as one of those weak mortals do you?" The man hesitated, mouth opening to reply, but not uttering a sound.

"You are more than them Akash," the voice whispered, the sound carrying through the trees like wind, "They are to bow to you, not you to them." Akash didn't reply, looking down at his feet, worry and doubt clouding his mind. The trees shook and the shadows seemed to grow a few shades darker. The tall pines towering above him ominously.

"You cannot leave now," the voice now hissed, "You are bound to the Dark, and you know of what may happen if you attempt to leave us." Birds cawed, and Akash saw their black forms dart from out of the trees and into the safety of the sky.

"Unless, the life of your dearest sister means nothing to you." Akash shivered, the shadowy form of his sleeping sister appearing before him. Her large doe-like eyes, fluttering open and widening as she caught sight of her big brother.

"Akash?" She whispered quietly, her voice small and gentle. The young man closed his eyes, turning away from the pleading mirage, unable to stand her confused gaze.

"Okay," he said quietly, "let her live, I'll do it-- I'll do it, I promise." With a dispelling of black, the mirage was gone, and before him another form appeared. Shadows dancing around the corners of the clearing, before racing towards the center. Where they built up into the rough form of a man. Shining, red eyes, gleaming from the center sinisterly.

"Good." Akash looked up at the graying sky, breathing in the cool, damp air, before looking again at the form standing before him.

The Shadow raced towards the young man, who stood firmly, hands held stiffly at his sides and head pointed towards the sky.

"Welcome to the Shadow."

~Back to the future~

"What?" Dean broke in, every syllable carefully pronounced, looking from the red-eyed Demon King to his sister. Crowley stepped carefully over to the young girl, studying her closely before setting two of his fingers on her forehead. The second it touched, the skin blackened and smoke rose. Bobby ran forward to grab the now angry Dean, struggling to hold him back as he screamed obscenities at the demon.