Chapter 5 - My day off.

I stayed home for two days because of my headache and couldn't do any work. I love working. A day or minute without working and my body starts to shiver. That is the disadvantage of not working in my dictionary. So early that morning, without letting anyone know, and by anyone I mean my mom, I rushed to the office. I walked into the office and everyone greeted me. I was back in the race, although I don't know who I'm racing with or why. I just love working. It keeps my mind active. I was so happy to be alive and working again. Well up until Charlotte said something that made my world freeze around me.

"What are you saying?" I said.

"My prince, you look so happy today and I know it's mostly because you are no more sick and are working again. But instead of working, why don't you take the day off." Charlotte said.

I didn't get what she was saying so I called Dennis to explain.

"I totally agree." He said, and supported Charlotte.

I went out to get another opinion. I was desperate for even just one person to take my side.

"Prince Edmund, go to the park." Someone else said.

"Yes. You'll be very happy there." Another added.

"And what could I possibly do in the park that would make me more happy than work here, tell me?" I defended.

"Well you could have some fun." Mimsy said.

Everyone's attention turned to the elevator.
Mimsy was my grandmother. Every time she came to town she made sure she visited me before going home. It was her way of getting me out of the office.

"I see nothing wrong in taking time off work to have some fun. Especially one that works all the time. Everyone agrees. Why don't you?"

Mimsy convinced me to go out and have fun and I gave in, eventually. My grandmom always had her way.
I walked down the road and went to the café for a view. It was a boring day. And just when I was about to leave, I saw her. That lady who came over and brought me coffee. She was wearing an apron and serving at tables. I approached her and she smiled at me. But the funny thing is I couldn't find my voice. I went out and didn't say a word. The sun was about getting down and I was still not giving up. I just wanted to talk to her.
I didn't understand. I had seen even more pretty girls before. Some so attractive you can't help but stare. But for some reason, I couldn't take my eyes off this one normal not so pretty looking girl. I mean she was of perfect height and had rosey cheeks. And her make up made her eyes pop. But I had seen hotter. So why was I behaving that way? When I saw her coming out, I got out of the car and approached the café, pretending like I didn't see her and that I couldn't care less.

"Excuse me, can I help you with something?" She said.

I can't believe Kenneth was right. It actually worked. I told her that I wanted coffee and she told me they had already closed for the day. I told her I needed it badly and so she told me of another café that sold the exact same coffee. I gave in and she took me there. The coffee was great and so was the conversation. We laughed most of the time. I gave her a ride home and she gave me her number and I did so as well. When I got home, I sat in my car for hours doing exactly what I didn't like doing, thinking.
I did everything I stood against - going out when there's work, having fun, spending time with a woman, giving her a ride - and it actually felt good. It was different. Good different.

"What? You spent time with a woman?" 

Mimsy shouted and so did everyone. Like they had rehearsed. Everyone stared at me, even Prescott. They were shocked, and I didn't blame them. I never gave myself a chance to be with anyone or anything, apart from work. And my mother does a good job, pairing me up with women I wasn't compatible with. I got up and went to my room. Jenny came in with hot water as usual and after settling it on the table she stood at the door and stared at me. I looked at her before she walked away buy upon reaching the door, she turned and looked again and said,

"I can't believe you did nothing today."

She kept smiling, which was creepy for a while and then she left. After Jenny left, I took the card the coffee lady gave me and saw her name. Jane Keeler. I called her and asked for another time together and she agreed. I had never slept with so big a smile on my face, like I did that very night.