Chapter 7 - Amy's return

Remember the time I wrote so many letters to all those girls I left at the altar when I thought I was dying? Well I may have written something else in one of them. It turns out that I wrote to Amy that if I had the chance to change things, I would have wanted us to get married. I can't believe I wrote that but it turned out that I did, and Amy came back.

"Oh Edmund. I can't wait for us to finally get married. You know I knew this day would come so I didn't return my wedding dress." Said Amy.

Amy was always a squeaker. I wonder how my ear drums didn't break during the time we were getting ready for the wedding. I felt so bad like I had betrayed Jane. Although nothing was really going on between us, it was like I owed her something. She was the only one who understood me and my thoughts. I felt alive whenever I was with her. And now that Amy was back my grandma wants me to marry her. And Mimsy didn't like hearing 'No' as an answer. Maybe it was because she didn't know Jane, she thought I wasn't with anyone. So I told her that I had being seeing someone else, hoping to change her mind. But that changed nothing. Mimsy still wanted me to marry Amy. It was Amy she knew. So I called Jane and asked her to join me for dinner with my family. I went over to her house and brought her to mine. She first declined but I made her understand that we wouln't be alone. She is so pure. I called Kenneth, my mother, grandma and Abby.
The evening started nicely. My grandmother kept asking Jane about her family and she started to like her. Kenneth and Abby liked her too and I thought my mother needed another day to like her as well.

"So apparently you work in a coffee shop." My mom asked her.

"Yes please." She replied.

"Oh" my mom started her critics. "Didn't you go to college?"

"No. My dad died when I graduated and my mom wasn't working so I didn't get money to further."

"But do u plan on working in a café forever?"

"Well I'm saving to go to school and I'm hoping to get a scholarship so that my mother wouldn't worry so much about the expenses."

"Well good luck with that."

I could just sense that my mom was trying to drive Jane to the wall. The atmosphere seemed so tense. I winked at Abby and she interfered.

"Who wants Salad?" She asked loudly.
"I do." Kenneth said.

And just when I thought the night couldn't get any worse, Amy walked in.

"I was stuck in traffic. Forgive me honey." She came all hugging and kissing me all over. And when I ignored her, she turned to look at Jane.

"Oh sweety. You didn't tell me we had a guest over. I would have been on time."

She went over to Jane and introduced herself.

"Hi. I'm Amy."

"Jane"

"That's so sweet. I'm sure you're wondering who I am. Well..."

Before she could say anymore, I pulled her down and covered her mouth with my hand.

"She's Edmund's fiancé." Said my mom.
"Her parents are very elite. Her father is a police commissioner and her mother owns a designing company."

I drove Amy away a bit and stared at my mother. But I only made matters worse.

"Oh. Okay." That's all Jane could say. When I looked at her she forced a smile and laughed a little.

"Are you not going to congratulate them?" My mother asked.

"Mother.." I said.

"Actually congratulations. To the both of you." Jane said.

"Oh thank you." Amy said. "Jane, would you like to attend the wedding?"

"I'm sure she'd love to." My mother said.

Mimsy saw the situation and how they kept stabbing the lovely girl any how.

"Jane dear, come to the kitchen with me and make me some coffee." She cut in.

"Right now?" She asked

"Yes now. Come with me."

I was glad that Jane was gone and so embarrassed to have brought her over in the first place. That was awful.
After the uneventful evening, I drove her home myself and apologised for the mistreatment. I told her it wasn't my intention to ambush her like that with all that happened.

"When did you propose?" She asked.

How could that be all that she could think of. I mean she and her family were literally insulted by mom.

"Remember I told you that I almost married eleven times year. She was one of the eleven."

"If you didn't marry her then why is she back?"

I explained everything about the letters and the mistake I did in writing the wrong thing in the one I sent to Amy. I don't know why I felt the way I did. There was this feeling of fear in mg heart, like a burning sensation. I didn't want to lose Amy. She meant so much to me.

"She's very lovely." Jane said. "Maybe a bit of a squeaker."
We both laughed.

"Well whatever happens, I wish you all the best." She said. "Goodnight."

I nodded and smiled. When I got home my father picked a fight with me for acting so insolent. By the time I realized, I had blurted out that I loved her. I told my mom how much I cared about her and how much it hurt me that I was losing her.

"Hallelujah." My mom said. "Ed, I never thought you would or could love any woman. I'm so glad. Now you can finally get married."

"Get married?" Ed said.

"Mom!" My mother shouted out for Mimsy. "It worked."

Mimsy came from her room and called Abby. She in turn called everyone. They all came and started laughing.

"Edmund, we planned all that happened." Amy said. "I pretended just so you could find someone to love. Besides I'm already married. The man who dropped me off at the house is my husband."

I was surprised and confused. Kenneth came to me with a phone and told me to call Jane. And I did.

We started officially seeing each other after my mom and Amy told her everything and apologized. All was right with the world again.