day thirty-nine

chompers seen: probably about seven hundred

chompers killed: 0

near-death experiences: 6

human deaths witnessed: 4

friends left behind: 6

camps infiltrated: 1

dead friends: 2

The ambulance was all loaded up and stocked with our quickly-dwindling supplies. We didn't have nearly enough gas to make it all the way to Sacramento; we'd be lucky if we made it halfway. I guess we were just praying for some sort of miracle along the way.

I was just climbing into vehicle's passenger seat when Jenna emerged from the hotel, a look of pure distress evident on her face.

"Alex says she's not coming," she announced, her voice soft and heavy. "She refuses to leave that room."

Nobody responded. We all shared a brief glance, before Aaron sighed and climbed out of the back of the ambulance.

"No way we're leaving her behind. She won't make it."

"Then we're not leaving," Anthony agreed. "Not yet."

"Let's just give her a few hours," Henry suggested. "I think there's a part of town we haven't checked out yet anyways. A few of us should go make sure there's nothing there."

"I think that's a good idea." I stood up, limping over to where Anthony stood. My first instinct was to grab his hand, but then I remembered the whole "five feet" rule. So, I kept my distance, as strenuous as it was.

"I'll stay here with her," Jenna said. "I think if I talk to her a little bit alone, she'll be able to move on. But I think you guys should go." She glanced at Aaron. "Especially you. This whole 'staying away from you' thing is easier when you're not around."

Aaron chuckled. "Alright." He turned to Anthony and I. "That means one of you should stay back, too."

We both shook our heads as if on cue. "No way," I protested.

"I can't stay in this fucking hotel for another second," Anthony agreed. "But don't worry, Dad, we'll stay plenty far away from each other."

~

The building we'd seen the people rushing about in was just blocks away from where we were. Our group mingled about an old MC Sports, digging through broken sunglasses and a few pairs of shorts. This side of town didn't look too promising. I was quickly realizing the more time spent here, the more time spent wasted.

I kept sharing brief glances with Anthony over empty aisles and around corners. We always had this sort of unspoken language between us that was secretly written when we first became friends - from just his eyes, I could read everything he wanted to say to me. "Don't leave my sight." "I wish we were alone." "I can't wait to be home." "You think I could fight off a flesh-eating monster with this half-baseball bat?"

I hated having to stay away from him, mostly because chompers were everywhere. It was terrifying; everyone else had killed at least one today, and there I was, still completely frozen every time one came into focus.

I still donn't know why it was so hard for me to kill one. All I had to do was jab my knife into its skull, like I was cutting a watermelon. It wasn't that hard. I'd have to do it eventually, or I'd be dead in no time.

"I think we've hit everything but that Target," Lizzy said from the front of the store, pointing back toward the office building.

I shared the briefest glance with Anthony. I didn't wanna go back that way. I was terrified they'd see us, or we'd see them. They could be serial killers or cannibals or worse; or maybe our group would want to stay with them and our journey back home would be delayed even further.