day thirty-two

chompers seen: probably about six hundred

chompers killed: 0

near-death experiences: 6

human deaths witnessed: 3

friends left behind: 6

camps infiltrated: 1

dead friends: 1

I thought they would've kicked us out of the hospital days ago.

Turns out, Kelly wasn't as evil as she had initially seemed. It was all an act, I guess; she was actually really cool. Every morning, she woke me up promptly at six to give me my morning medicine, and sometimes stuck around a little longer after delivering meals to chat. Unfortunately, since nobody else in the group was classified as a "patient," they were forced to eat in the cafeteria. So, it was nice to have someone to talk to while eating cold vegetables alone in my hospital room.

I hated to say it, but I was almost... bored. Which was something I never thought I'd say during an apocalypse, but it was true. I wasn't allowed to stand besides using the bathroom and giving myself sponge baths, and while our group frequently played cards and discussed how we'd get to Sacramento around my bed, not being able to move was unsatisfying.

I was feeling better, though. A hell of a lot better. It was amazing how much some drugs, a cast, and a few days of rest could do. I knew I wouldn't be fully recovered for weeks, but it seemed like I'd be walking again in days.

"So when do you think they'll let me out of this place?" I asked Anthony one day as he lay next to me on my crappy cot, playing with my hair.

He shrugged. "I don't know. I guess you could technically leave whenever, but I don't want you to yet. I want you to get as well as possible before we take off."

"Well, I know, but I'll probably just be riding in a car for a while, anyways. That'll give me recovery time."

"That's assuming we can find a car. Or two, with the amount of people we have."

I chuckled. "I bet we can jack an ambulance if we really get desperate."

"We probably could." He smirked. "Anyways, I think a few of us are going out later. Just to scope the area and get some air."

I pouted. "Without me?"

He rolled his eyes. "You need to rest. We'll be fine."

"Remember last time when I went out without you?" I smirked. "I think we're cursed. We can't go out without each other or we'll just about die."

He scoffed. "That was one time."

"So?" I leaned closer into him. "I really don't wanna split up again. So either you stay here or I get my ass in a wheelchair and go with you."

He gazed at me, a slight smirk on his face. "So pushy."

"I need some fresh air, anyways."

He sighed. "Fine. But we see a single chomper, and we're hauling ass back here like there's no tomorrow."

~

The streets were, as usual, empty. And completely trashed. Like a tornado had blown through.

"I don't know how these people don't look out the window and realize something's up," Jonah said, walking next to me.

"I was just thinking that," Anthony agreed. He pushed me along in a crappy hospital wheelchair, my body bouncing with every dip in the ground. "And what about the people that were supposed to get out of there? Are they planning to just hold them there forever?"