Days left: 13

The wind stings my cheeks as I lean over the balcony outside of Pinner's. It looks directly out onto the seafront, and the waves smack against the rocks in the distance. The weather has been worsening for weeks, and dull grey skies glare down at me from overhead.

'Those flood barriers are going to fall apart,' Will comments, joining me outside. 'Dewington's screwed unless the council get on it.'

'I heard Mr Grasswick say they've started,' I say absently, my gaze still fixed on the horizon. I can feel Will staring at me, and it's irritating. 'What do you want?'

His expression changes to one of hurt. 'What do you mean, what do I want?'

I soften a little. 'Well, you must have come outside for a reason.'

'I'm getting a little tired of the one-man Charlie Flint show,' he says, resting his forearms on the balcony railing. 'Especially when everyone else is loving it.'

I sigh. 'They're his friends, Will. Of course they like hanging out with him.'

'They're obnoxious,' he says, wrinkling his nose. 'Do you actually like them?'

Charlie's friends have been down to visit him again, and I immediately recognized the two girls from the festival. The other boys are here too, and I discovered that the one who had first pointed me out back in the tent to Charlie is an ex-band member.

'They're alright,' I say, shrugging non-committedly.

He squints at me, his jaw flexing. 'You're scared of them, aren't you?'

I scowl. 'I'm not scared.'

He looks out at the seafront, raising his eyebrows.

'I'm not scared,' I say again, a little too loudly. I clear my throat, and lower my voice. 'I'm just maybe a little... intimidated.'

Will throws me a disbelieving look. 'And have you told Charlie this?'

'What? No,' I say, frowning.

'But he's your boyfriend,' Will says, shaking his head. 'How can you not tell him his friends make you nervous?'

I throw my hands up, and glance desperately back at the door. 'Will! We haven't had that conversation yet.'

'Seriously? You seriously don't know if you're his girlfriend?'

'We – we're – we're seeing each other.'

'What does that even mean?' he says, irritation crossing his features.

'That we're... I don't know... dating? Not seeing other people?'

'Really?' Will says, folding his arms. 'Does he know he can't see any other people?'

I scowl, and face away from the railing. Pinner's is busy this afternoon, most of the clientele underage. I eye a group of kids in the corner warily, watching them laugh and flick ash onto the back streets below.

'Can't you just be happy for me?' I say. 'I like him. He likes me. What's so bad about that?'

'He'll fuck you over, Rory,' Will says, worry creasing his forehead. 'I know he will. I just... don't like him.'

I stare at him, anger creeping into my stomach. 'Are you jealous? Is that what this is?'

Will looks alarmed. 'What?'

'You're jealous because I can have this relationship out there for everyone to see. But you can't have that. You won't tell anyone the deal with you.' I take a step backwards, gripping the railing hard. 'Don't take your frustration out on me.'