Days left: 1

I stare up at my bedroom ceiling, an endless smile stretched across my face. Nothing can remove it; not the fact I've been grounded again, or that my parents are refusing to talk to me, not even the fact that Oliver slammed his door before I could walk in.

I have last night forever.

I roll over on my bed, clutching my phone to my chest. Part of me is desperate to call Saffron and tell her. The other part of me wants to keep this a secret for eternity, shared only between me and Charlie.

I stare at my phone screen, wondering why he hasn't called yet. It was the first thing I wanted to do this morning when I woke up, but I forced myself not to. I need him to do this. I need to prove I was right about Charlie giving a part of himself to me.

I sit up, then immediately wince. It still stings a little, but I never let on to that in the car on the way home. He was smiling from ear to ear, his fingers stretching over to stroke my hair. I could feel my heart contracting just looking at him.

My running shoes catch my eye in the corner of my room, and I notice that Mum has washed them yet again. They're starting to look grey and worn, all the colour leeched out from them. I could go for a run – that would give me an acceptable excuse to leave the house. My stomach is turning somersaults, restlessness stirring my bones.

A loud buzzing sounds from my duvet.

I dive for my phone, hurriedly swiping the call button. 'Hello?'

'Rory,' Charlie says, but his voice is tight. 'Where are you right now?'

'I'm at home,' I say, confused. 'You know I'm grounded.'

'Right. I forgot.' He sounds distracted, like he's watching something else in the background. 'Listen, I'm in major shit. The police have just been around mine. My cousin called them when he realized his car was missing.'

'Even though he knew it was you?' I say, frowning.

'Yes.' His voice is as taut as a wire. 'Last night was a fucking stupid idea.'

My heart stops.

'All of last night?' I manage. 'All of it was a stupid idea?'

He sighs loudly. 'You know what I mean, Rory. The police are on their way around to yours now.'

I almost drop my phone. 'They're what?'

'I had to tell them you were involved,' he says. 'It's better them finding out sooner rather than later.'

'You didn't have to tell them at all,' I hiss. 'They wouldn't have even known I was there!'

'There could have been eyewitnesses,' he says, and I can almost imagine him shrugging. 'Look, I've got to go. I'm about to get the bollocking of a lifetime.'

'Does your Dad know?' I say. 'Is he coming up to talk to you?'

'What?'

'I just-' I break off, unsure of what to say. 'Wouldn't he want to speak to you?'

'I'll talk to you later.' He already sounds distant, like he's moved away from the phone. 'Bye, Rory.'

The line goes dead, and I stare at the screen in my hands. I thought last night would change things. I thought he'd start to open up with me.

And now the police are on their way to my house.

I bolt towards the door, pulling my shoes on. The hallway is quiet, but for once, that's not what I want. Sprinting down the stairs, I skid into the kitchen, and immediately spot who I need sat at the table.