Days left: 5

The moment I walk into the common room, all eyes turn to stare at me. And then I realize why; Natalie Hart is close behind me, slinking inside like she wants the ground to swallow her up.

Everyone's waiting for me to do something, say something – but the matter is taken out of my hands when she slips into a seat in the corner. Lauren and Becca go hurrying over to her, ignoring the jeers from the older sixth formers.

'Hey,' comes a low voice in my ear. 'Good morning.'

Warm hands curl around my waist, turning me slowly around. Charlie kisses me, and I slide my hands around his neck, not caring what the rest of the room thinks. He only stops when someone starts up a flurry of wolf-whistles.

'My friends still can't get over what you made them do last week,' he grins. 'You're infamous now.'

'What I made them do?' I say, throwing him a pointed look.

His lips touch my jaw. 'You were the first one in.'

I narrow my eyes, but don't argue the point. 'I think I'm still hungover from yesterday.'

'Probably. You should have stayed at Pinner's longer. I missed you,' he says casually. 'I would have given you a lift this morning if I knew Will wasn't driving you.'

'Oh,' I say. 'I wanted to walk.'

This isn't entirely true. I waited for a full ten minutes for Will to show up, but he never did. I didn't dwell on it, just started walking before my Mum could come outside and start asking questions.

'Looking forward to the talent show this afternoon?' Charlie says, shifting back in his seat. 'The lower school actually think they have a chance.'

'I know,' I snort. 'When do you think they'll realize that no matter what they do, Natalie Hart is going to win anyway?'

Charlie's eyes narrow. 'Natalie? Why would she win?'

I give him a confused look. 'Who do you think's going to win?'

He grins at me, sitting up a little straighter. 'Me. Obviously.'

'You're entering?' I say. 'Since when?'

'Since Josh decided it would be good for the band,' he says, glancing around the common room. 'Matt wasn't so sure, but Reuben was up for it. I mean, it's no Roundhouse, but we need to practice.'

I laugh. 'Plus you want to show off.'

'I don't need to show off,' he says, a slow smile appearing on his face. 'People are already impressed by me.'

I shake my head. 'You know, until last week, I was actually going to enter.'

'Really?' He raises his eyebrows. 'No offence, but can you actually do anything?'

A tiny spurt of irritation trickles through me, but I place my hand on the table instead. 'It isn't so much to impress people... more to make an impression.'

He leans forward, his eyes glinting. 'Now I'm intrigued.'

'It doesn't matter anyway,' I say, waving a hand dismissively. 'Lots of stuff happened since I decided. I don't need to anymore.'

'Come on,' he says, his fingers trailing across my hand. 'You can tell me.'

'Nope,' I say, but I don't pull away. 'You wouldn't enter if you knew what I'd planned. You'd know I'd beat you.'