Chapter 47 Overworked

After those two weeks pass of heavy antibiotics around the clock I go back to work. Still new to the marines. I had gotten through that one test, and won. The commander was nice enough to pass me unlike the others who still had to go through another month of training. I didn't have any training for flying obviously.
The commander surprisingly is a lot worse than my other commander. He's lots harder on me. Don't get me wrong I like a challenge, but he takes everything out of me. Always pushing me till I can't breathe, threatening me to get it right. He overworks me everyday. He strips me down of who I am and throws it in the trash, then makes me mad enough to commit to his daily challenges he gives me. And I let him do it to me. Now I wish I had my old commander--even though he's an old grouch, he's better then this one. I'm just fed up. I haven't told Bree. She doesn't need to worry about me and its nothing she should know about anyway.
Today I get ready to go. Bree walks out with me although today she can't go to work, shes off. I hug her goodbye and play with the twins. They're the only ones who take away the stress. I take a deep breath and exhale, walking away from Bree as she walks back into the house. For once I find myself negative.
Once I get there I meet with the groups of others. "Wheres Commander Gunner?" Dash asks. I shrug, "And he tells us not to drag our ass-"
He walks up right as I stop myself from finishing. We all stand up straight and three finger salute. "All of you run two miles except Mellark, your running four."
"Why am I always your pet?" I ask harshly. He glares at me, "Don't make me add another four."
I roll my eyes and babble. Everyone takes off sprinting. Dash and I overlap everyone else. Once everyone finishes I have a couple more laps. Again everyone has to wait for me.
We warm up, which for me is always more then everyone else. Push ups, curl ups, jumping jacks, ect. Of course I do ten more reps on all of those.
After that we grab our bows and play a game of war. Divided up into two teams against each other. Ditching arrows, shooting at the opposite team, hiding behind anything that'll hide us. Of course the arrows aren't damaging ones: they have suction cups on them so if you get hit it'll stick you instead of stab you. Your graded on where you hit them too. Head Shots are the most points. I always win these games--Not today.
Dash (on the opposite team) hits me right in the heart. Dash and I were the only ones left. He chants, "Rebels won!" (Theres the rebel team and mockingjay team which is what I'm in.)
The commander smirks, "How does it feel Mellark?"
I ignore him even though my for him is tolerance exceedingly high. "Mellark? I said how does it feel?"
I snap around, "You wanna know how it feels?! Here I'll get very specific: Its like living hell with you giving me all this bs about how I'm no good and how I'll never be good enough and how I'm overworked everyday!"
"Maybe if you were tougher-"
I cut him off immediately, "Tougher? Listen here Gunner, you'll never find someone tougher then me! I put up with all the crap you give me."
He laughs, "Not today."
"No because I'm fed up! What the f-"
"Mellark calm down you psycho!" he yells. I get closer into his face, "Psycho?!"
"No thats that wrong name for you... How about talentless." he laughs. I can't it anymore, I'm done with him. Before anyone can pull me away from him I push him down. He looses balance and falls to the ground. "I have a name for you, how about weakness" I laugh scornfully. Dash pulls me back, "What were you thinking?!"
Before I answer his question the commander slaps me across the face, "Ten miles, now!" he shouts. He grabs my collar and brings me in closer to his face, "And don't you ever do that again your an embarrassment to the marines!" he yells. I try to punch him back, but the guys hold me back.
"NOW GO"
I take off running. Swearing inside my head. I don't know if I'll ever be able to return. But he deserves it. He deserves everything. He deserves more but I wouldn't be able to be seen on the property if I did show him more. The running helps me burn my hatred off, but thats just two miles--I still got eight more. Its almost impossible.
My body is already overworked from doing extra reps and miles, but now I'm falling apart. By the eighth mile I don't know if I can keep it up. Its probably been a hour of running. I just can't take anymore. For once I'm broken.
My mouth and throat are dry. I can't even swallow. The only thing I can hear is my heartbeat pounding into my ears. The commander who's watching me like a hawk starts yelling, "You're not done!"
I collapse onto the ground in front of him, "I-I c-cant" I pant. "So much for unbreakable" he mumbles, "Sixty push ups on our knuckles! Now!"
"I can't!" I pant, "I can't please this is enough!"
"Now!!"
I throw up multiple times. I stay on the ground feeling like shutting down. "NOW" he picks me by my collar that chokes me. I have no choice but to. I get on my knuckles and force my body to. I do at least twenty until I collapse.
"Get up!" the commander yells. I shake my head. He's about to pick me up again when Dash pulls him away from me, "He's had enough!"
"Take your hands off me" the commander warns. "Commander Gunner, he can't even move!"
I wish I never showed up today... Now my best friend is being punished for sticking up for me. The commander reluctantly lets me go. I'm sent home once I can walk. Apparently I can't come back here for sometime.

(Continued)