1: death

When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.
- Tecumseh

Chapter 1: death

September 15th, 2pm
Death paced up and down on the pregnant, murky clouds as he silently whispered to himself strategies. His mind was clouded with numerous thoughts scattering mindlessly, knocking his brain countlessly. His head was all over the place and he didn't know how to control it.

Whilst Death was busily stalking around, his repugnant goblin slave tried to keep up with the speed of Death's walking but despairingly failed. Confused with the circles he was walking in, the ugly goblin lost his balance and fell. This caused Death to lose concentration.

The goblin nervously looked up, only to make eye contact with ardent, blazing eyes. Annoyance was clearly displayed in them. Death had a black hole living inside of his eyeballs - it looked ready to consume the poor goblin.

The goblin and death were inches apart, they were so close that they could be kissing. Trembling, the goblin could feel the dusky breath of Death infiltrating his green skin. The goblin found this position very discomforting.

Paralysed with fear, the goblin began to plead for his life. "Sir, I-I am very apologetic for interrupting your - your thoughts. P-p-please forgive me, master!" Putting his hand in a praying position, the desperate goblin fell onto his knees.

Fed up with the vexatious goblin, Death snapped his fingers. Automatically, the goblin's finger was gradually tearing off. As a result, the goblin's scream hung in the misty air as he collapsed onto the floor with pain. Also tired of the goblin's screams, Death snapped his fingers again. The tearing of the goblin's finger didn't stop but the screaming stopped abruptly; in fact, the goblin's mouth was sealed. All that was heard now was the failed attempts of murmuring coming from the goblin - which satisfied Death very much.

"Pest," Death's deep voice spat at the hopeless goblin. "I have problems of my own goblin and you are becoming troublesome. Do you not share any pity amongst your master?" Death smiled, evilly. He was certainly mocking the hideous goblin, while circling him.

Chuckling to himself, Death began to share his problem with the goblin. It wasn't intentionally but he wanted to get it of his mind and talking about it might help. "You see, there's this girl. Her name is Tomata, I believe." Death elegantly lifted up his black, long cloak to crouch down beside the goblin. "She was meant to die two days ago!"

Death grew anxious and grabbed the goblin by his throat. His emaciated, scrawny fingers trailed the frightened goblin's face and a smile broke out on Death's bony face. "You're going to help me kill her." And with that, Death dropped the innocent goblin on the floor, harshly.

Haziness erupted from the clouds as a bloodshot red figure emerged from it. "What welcomes your presence, Lucifer?" Although Death never submitted to anyone, the Devil was always above him and he had to respect that.

Lucifer and Death had a solid, yet complicated relationship. They were best friends, almost like. They both enjoyed the stealing of souls and the present of darkness. They were somewhat bonded to each other; they held a special connection.

Strutting his way towards Death, Lucifer snapped his finger and appeared a chair, which he then sat on. "I've seen you've started to harm your job," Lucifer sneered, tutting mockingly at Death.

"It's hardly a job if I'm not being payed, Lucifer," Death smirked, stalking towards his scythe.

Clearing his throat, Lucifer spoke authoritavly, "I'm here for business, not a subtle conversation."

With his scythe now in his hand, Death replied, "I'm awfully offended you don't want a conversation with me. What did I do wrong?" Death had a thing for mocking people, as you could see.

"Humorous as always, I see." Lucifer got up, leaving a trail of flames behind him as he walked closer to Death. "You have a month, to kill the girl without revealing your form otherwise you will be stripped from your title and status." And with that, Lucifer evaporated.

So abrupt, he was.

On the other hand, what was Death going to do? He knew he was going to get a visit from the Devil but he never expected the punishment to be so harsh. The situation just got a lot more serious. This girl may just cost him his job - and he couldn't afford that!

"Goblin!" Death yelled, furious. Immediately, the goblin rushed over, sensing his masters distress. "I need one of your ingenious ideas." Death only kept the goblin around for ideas.

"Master, why don't you lure her into her death?" The goblin smartly suggested.

"And how do you expect me to do so without revealing myself as Death?" Death questioned, leaning closer to the goblin.

The goblin felt anxiety build inside of him as Death observed him. He knew he had to pick his words carefully. He really didn't want to upset his master any further.

"You could disguise yourself?" The goblin trailed off.

Jubilant, Death smiled widely at his slave. "Smart thinking. I could disguise myself as a handsome, young human male and lure her into her own death!"

It was official when Death attached himself to a mission he had to complete, in sake of keeping his job. He had to keep his intentions straight when on Earth. Anything could go wrong, Earth and humans were filled with an amount of massive, unexpected things. But Death knew what he was getting himself into.

He was ready to risk everything and anything.