4: dinner

Careless shepherd make excellent dinner for wolf.
- Earl Derr Biggers

Chapter 4: dinner

Continuation, September 16th
Death exited the café and immediately was searched by the cool wind of February. The sun still shone brightly and the devouring smell of souls and breakfast soon dispersed. The trees swayed calmly to the rhythm of the wind as Death started to make his way.

Deciding he needed more clothing for his human, Death headed to the mall. He didn't want to be questioned on why he wore the same thing everyday so he thought he was doing himself a favour. The mall was contaminated with souls - which was harmful for Death because he didn't want to physically assault a civilian.

Nevertheless, Death thought he enough self control. He wasn't worried about attacking anyone. He was confident.

Spotting a shopping centre, Death sauntered inside. As usual, he was rapidly hit by the scrumptious smell of souls but Death ignored it. The mall was noisy, which he expected.

Walking into Primark, Death started to shop for clothes for his human. He went mostly for the classy dressing, as he thought that fitted best for his human. He decided to experiment and bought earrings - not that he even had piercings.

Going to the cashier, Death noticed he didn't have any money. Quickly dismissing himself for a while, he went into a corner and snapped his fingers. Automatically, money appeared in his hand - around £50, which was enough to buy his items. He went back to the cashier and purchased his items. The cashier gave him a recent and a small 'thank for shopping at Primark'.

Making his way back to his house, Death decided to change into his new clothing. He wore blue jeans with a black blazer and white Nike top with white trainers. He combed his hair neatly and felt satisfied.

Death was certainly amused on how the day will plan out. He was going to knock on the Wood's door and introduce himself as their neighbours. Hopefully they would invite him in and they'll all get to know each other.

Ambulating towards the Wood's house, Death grew fidgety. He, again, didn't know what to expect. This would be the first he was desperate for a solid conversation with humans.

Death knocked nervously on the door of the Wood's. Death was distressed and hesitant on the inside but on the outside, he looked dauntless and self-assured. From experience over many decades, Death knew how to keep his facial expressions under control.

Death wasn't normally agitated easily but this was for his job. He felt various feelings consuming him from the inside, which never happened before. He was normally cold and blank. But ever since his job was threatened, he was put in a new world of feelings.

In spite of being overwhelmed, Death wanted this - right? He always wanted to venture the empiricism of emotions. Was his mind all of a sudden being changed due to recent occurrence?

Opening the door, a little head peaked through. "Who are you?" A little boy questioned, curiously.

Smiling, Death didn't want to scare of the little boy. In fact, he wanted to be liked by the little boy, in hope that he will share Death kindness with the rest of the Wood's family. "I'm..." Death trailed on, forgetting his human name. Suddenly remembering, he finished his sentence, "Luis."

Death hoped the boy didn't notice his uncertainty and think of it as anything suspicious.   Luck seemed to be on Death's side because the boy let out a big smile, that caused his lips to reach his ears and looked convinced. Death silently sighed to himself as he nearly put everything on stake.

Welcoming in, the little boy stepped to the side whilst opening the door wider. Death was consternated that the boy let him in without any proof of identification but was still grateful. He was grateful that the little boy trusted him enough by letting him.

Cautiously stepping inside, Death noticed a enervating female rushing to the door with a wet kitchen cloth hanging from the dish she had in her hand. She noticed Death and gasped, shielding the little boy. "Daniel, what did I tell you about letting strangers in?" She whispered angrily to him, though Death heard anyways.

Trying to make a warm gesture, Death reassured her, "I'm sorry for coming in without any valid confirmation from an adult." Death signified to his house, which was right next to the house he was in. "I live in that house, Miss. I'm you're new next door neighbour," Death beamed.

Thinking she could trust him, the female introduced herself. "I'm sorry. I'm Mrs Bankclar. This is my son, Daniel." Daniel let out a small 'hi' before sitting down at the dinner table.

"I'm Luis," Death smiled, kissing the wrinkly hand of Mrs Bankclar.

Blushing, Mrs Bankclar invited Death in. "And you're just in time for dinner!" She chirped.