Chapter 1: New Year

It's the start of a new year at William Mckinely High School

It's the start of a new year at William Mckinely High School. Sofia had been looking forward to this day since she was rejected last year. She had been practicing more and more. She asked her sister, Santana, for some pointers on how to improve. She was a cheerio when she attended Mckinely and Sofia wants to follow in her sister's footsteps one day be head cheerleader. Sofia carried her duffle bag and walked out to the field where tryouts would be. She felt her hands become moist from squeezing her hands closed as she was very nervous. She did not want to fail again. She wanted to be able to walk down the halls of Mckinely supporting a Cheerio uniform. She reached the field and she jogged up to her friend, Isabella.

"We're going to kill this," Isabella spoke when Sofia reached her. Sofia smiled at her friend and then looked out at the field nodded her head knowing Isabella was right.

Sofia grabbed her water bottle and duffle bag and headed back inside the school after tryouts. Isabella walked with her and smiled. Her face was dripping in sweat and her shirt was drenched. Her hair was falling out of her high ponytail and she had little baby hairs sticking up in all directions.

"Do you think you made the cut?" Isabella spoke, breaking the silence between the two friends.

"I hope I did," Sofia mumbled, letting out a sigh. "I worked really hard over summer break to improve."

"Do you wanna go to the Lima Bean and cool off?" Isabella asked, changing the subject. Sofia nodded her head as she ran her hand through her hair.

The pair sat at the Lima Bean drinking their beverages when Sofia broke the silence. "I am going to audition for glee club."

Isabella raised her eyebrows. "Sof," Isabella started. "Why would you want to join glee club when you can be a Cheerio and be on the top of the McKinley hierarchy? You would never be slushied and you would never be laughed at," Isabella informed

"Santana told me glee club is a place where you can fit in if you think you don't belong anywhere else. How it brought together kids from different backgrounds and they became friends," Sofia explained choosing to ignore Isabella rolling her eyes.

Isabella scoffed but Sofia chose to ignore it.

Sofia stood at her locker at the end of the day a few days later and was placing her books in her backpack.

Sofia shut her locker and put her backpack on her shoulders flipping her curled high ponytail off her shoulder.

"I see a red door and I want it painted black, No colors any more, I want them to turn black," Sofia sang. She turned away from her locker and looked up to see the door for the auditorium. She smiled as she continued to sing.

"I look inside myself and see my heart is black," Sofia sang making her way to the door of the auditorium. Her Cheerio skirt swaying as she made her way up to the stage.