Chapter 5: The Musical

Sofia walked into the choir room and took a seat by herself in the back row

Sofia walked into the choir room and took a seat by herself in the back row. She glanced  over at Isabella and saw her laughing with Blaine and Tina. She turned her attention to Rory and saw him sitting with Sugar and every once looking at Sugar and grinning.

"Hey everyone," Mr. Shue smiled, walking into the choir room. "Before sectionals I had an idea that we could do a musical," everyone cheered and smiled.

"What musical?" Marley asked.

"I was hoping you guys could vote," Mr. shue answered.

"Oh, how about Funny Girl?" Marley asked. Mr. Shue walked up to the board and wrote Funny girl on the board.

"Anyone else?" he asked.

When no one else suggested anything, Sofia rose her hand. "High School Musical," Sofia pitched. Mr. Shue wrote it on the white board next to Funny Girl.

"Anybody else?" Mr. Shue asked again. Nobody spoke up. "Alright we will vote during lunch."

Sofia got up and grabbed her bag and walked out of the choir room and walked to her next class, English.

During lunch Sofia walked into the choir room and once again, she sat by herself. A few minutes later Jake took a seat next to her. She turned to him but before she could say anything he spoke. "I saw you sitting by yourself earlier."

"Alright everyone let's vote," Mr. Shue said, handing everyone a piece of paper. She turned her attention to her blank paper and she wrote down her idea and handed it to Mr. Shue. Soon Mr. Shue was given everyone's piece of paper and he counted the slips.

"Okay," Mr. Shue said getting everyone's attention. "This year's school musical is High School Musical," he told us and the glee club started clapping and cheering.

"When are auditions?" Tina chimed in.

"Auditions will be tomorrow after school in the auditorium."

"Sofia Lopez" Artie called out with Finn Hudson, Mike Chang, and Mercedes Jones. Sofia took a deep breath and walked to center stage. She shook her hands out and faced the four from the observing table. She took step back and nodded her head to the band.

Sofia: Hey, boy you never had much game thought I needed to upgrade so I went and walked away way way uh now, I see you've been hanging out with that other girl in town looking like a pair of clowns clowns clowns uh

Sofia danced around the stage, putting her heart into her performance.

Sofia: I broke it off thinking you'd be cryin' now I feel like shh looking at you flyin' I want you back I want you back wa-want you, want you back uh la la la la laaa

Sofia finish the song and everyone clapped and cheered.

"Any preferred roles?" Mike asked. Sofia brushed her hair out of her face and ran over the options in her head.

"Um.. Gabriella," She answered. Mike nodded his head and she walked off the stage.

"Good job," Abby told Sofia once she got off stage and Sofia grinned at her.

"Thanks, Abby. Are you going to audition?" she asked.

"Um... Yeah, but only a small role," Abby responded.

"Why don't you want a lead part?" she asked Abby.

"I'd rather be in back," she responded. Marley and Unique walked off stage and Abby headed to the center of the stage.

Abby looked out at the four and took a deep breath. The music to her audition song started and she grabbed the microphone. "Days like this I want to drive away pack my bags and watch your shadow fade."

"We have a call back," Marley walked up to me smiling.

"Really?" Sofia asked. She couldn't help the smirk grow on her face.

"Yeah we have to sing this song with Kitty and Tina," She grabbed a piece of paper and handed it to Sofia.

"Wait Kitty?" she questioned with confusion. She looked at Marley with a puzzled look.

"Yeah she auditioned with Jake," Marley frowned.

"So you and me are called back for Gabriella?" Sofia concluded with Marley by her side as they walk down the hall together.

"Yeah and Kitty and Tina are called back for Sharpay," Marley announced.

"Alright ladies. Let's do this," Finn shouted from the table in the auditorium. Marley, Tina, Kitty, and Sofia walked onto stage and stood in a line.

Marley: It's hard to believe, that I couldn't see, you were always there beside me, thought I was alone, with no one to hold, but you were always right beside me

The four danced onstage trying to outshine each other and receive the part that they wanted.

Once the song ended Finn and Artie clapped  and the girls run off the stage. Sofia saw Jake and Ryder and smile at them. She whispered a quick 'good luck' and they walked on stage for their callback for Troy.

Ryder: Take it back to the place where you know it all began

Jake: We could be anything we wonna be

Ryder: We can tell by the noise that the boys are back again

Jake: Together making history

The two walked in sync and started to play superheroes.

Ryder and Jake: Save the girl, (No one) No one can stop us now, we're the ones that make the rules, OOOHHH..., The boys are back, Ohhh, yeah, The boys are back, hey, The boys are back, the boys are back, Gonna do it again, Gonna wake up the neighborhood, The boys are back, yeah, The boys are back, Climbing up the walls, any time we want

Jake went to push Ryder out of the way and Ryder retaliated by pushing Jake back. "Break it up,'Artie groaned.

Ryder and Jake: The boys are back, yeah, The boys are back, Tearing down the walls, Any time we want, I'm sure that you know by now, The boys are back

Jake and Ryder ended the song back-to-back with their arms crossed over their chests.

A few days later Sofia walked up to the bulletin board and quickly scanned the cast list.
Troy Bolton- Ryder Lynn
Gabriella Montez- Marley Rose
Sharpay Evans- Sofia Lopez
Ryan Evans- Sam Evans
Chad Danforth- Jake Puckerman
Taylor McKessie- Wade "Unique" Adams
Kelsi Nielsen- Abby Reynolds
Zeke Baylor- Rory Flanagan
Jason Cross- Blaine Anderson
Martha Cox- Kitty Wilde
Tiara Gold- Tina Cohen- Chang
Jimmie Zara- Joe Hart

"How did I not get the role of Sharpay? I was born for that role. Sofia auditioned for Gabriella. Asian and I had the callback not her," Kitty sassed and glared at Sofia and stormed away, her ponytail swaying as she did.

Tina then walked up and stared at Sofia and then followed the same direction as Kitty.