Chapter 25: Puppet Master

Sofia clutched her binder to her chest as she walked down the hall to the choir room. She felt an arm make its way around her shoulders. She turned her head to see Rory smiling at her.

He pulled away from her and stood in front of her, walking backwards. "What are you doing this weekend?"

"Um, well, I was going to binge watch One Tree Hill this weekend because Abby is in Cincinnati with her family this week," Sofia admitted as the pair continued to walk down the halls.

"Well, change it because I am going to take you out to dinner," Rory's face soon grew a deep shade of red.

"Like, as in a date," Sofia spoke quietly. The two stopped walking and Rory nodded his head.

"Yeah, a date," he smiled.

"Great! I can't wait," Sofia leaned up and pressed her lips to his cheek. She pulled away with a red hue makings its way to her cheeks.

"Hey, leprechaun!" Someone shouted. Rory turned his head to the sound of the voice and was met with a cold, red liquid hitting him. Laughter soon followed as the football team walked past them.

"Come on," Sofia pulled Rory along to help him clean up as he squeezed his eyes shut from the stinging.

***

"Hey, um, guys. Guys, New Directions!" Blaine shouted at everyone in the choir room. "I just ran into Mr. Schue, and he's gonna he stuck in his classroom for the rest of the afternoon because of some school board inspection thing, but he still wanted us to meet so we can start working on ideas for nationals."

The group started yelling over each other their ideas for nationals. "I have some ideas already. I'm thinking that the music needs to be really simple, so we can really highlight our voices. No guitars, or nothing electronic. We go with a simple piano arrangement. Which I could play," Blaine explained his idea.

"I'm assuming you're singing lead?" Kitty smirked.

"Well, I am a senior, and this is my last go at it. We need to win this," Blaine pointed out.

"Well, feels like North Korea up in here," Tina spoke up.

"Okay, forget the piano. Forget all the music. We can just do, um, a cappella, that always works," Blaine offered.

"Um, you do know we aren't the Warblers, right?" Sofia questioned.

"Should we wear matching blazers, too?" Unique went along with Sofia with the two leading to a high-five.

"Let's take it back, what was wrong with the guitars?" Sam asked.

"Nothing. Why can't you guys just stop resisting me for a second, and just go with me?" Blaine argued. "I am not trying to be bossy. I am trying to give the benefit of my experience. I have won more show choir competitions than anyone in this room."

Sofia's jaw dropped at this and crossed her arms over her chest with Rory patting her shoulder. "You suck," Ryder coughed into his fist.

"A cappella is worth a shot," Jake stood up with a acoustic guitar in his hands. "Let's do it."

"Then you two can have fun in your little barbershop couplet while the rest of us discuss something good," Unique informed Blaine and Jake.

"Fine. You don't want my help," Blaine gathered his belongings and faced the rest of the group. "Then I am not gonna give it." He walked into Mr. Schue's office and plopped down in a chair.

"Looks like somebody's man-struating," Kitty joked.

"I heard that," Blaine yelled back.

***

"Dance has never been our strong suit, but think with Jake's help, we can really kick it up a notch," Mr. Schue stood in front of the choir room. "Jake?"

Jake walked over to the back corner of the choir room. "What's the point? Seriously, what is the point? I could choreograph a sick dance, none of you can keep up. I mean, half of you can't even do it and won't even try. Why? Because you're not dancers. So let's not waste my time," Jake sat down in his chair. "Let's just do another cut-and-paste dance routine that even Tina and Rory can pick up."

"You are such a conceited jerk," Marley scoffed.

"I'm not conceited, I'm bored," Jake crossed his arms and closed his eyes.

"Please, we've seen your dance moves. They're fine, not epic," Marley rolled her eyes at Jake.

"Oh, you want to see epic? Give me a beat," Jake snapped his finger.

Sofia and walked out of the choir room with her hand interlaced with Rory's. They stopped at her locker and Sofia quickly put in her combination.

"Are you going to tell me where you're taking me?" Sofia turned to Rory after she grabbed her homework from her locker.

"Nope, it's a surprise," Rory smirked.

"Breadstix," Sofia guessed as she closed her locker.

"Darn it," Rory sighed as he lead her to Brittany's mom's car.

***

"Guys, I just wanted to apologize to all of you. I've been a little controlling lately, and it's not cool. I've made some changes though, and I've learned that sometimes you just need to let go. Cut the strings, so to speak," Blaine stood in front of the New Directions.

"I bet you'll still be bossy as hell," Kitty deadpanned.

"Actually, I hope to be more of a leader, as opposed to being just bossy, Kitty. So to celebrate this new laissez-afire Blaine, I've made some felt peace offerings. Voilà," Blaine opened a cardboard box.

"Okay, this is creepy as hell," Sofia mumbled. Rory handed her the 'Sofia' puppet and he pulled out his puppet. He held it up and had it press a kiss to her puppet.