Chapter 1: The Beginning

"Alright watch this!" Spencer said, throwing a piece of popcorn up in the air and then catching it in his mouth.

"Damn that's your 55th time in a row!" Ryan yelled and knuckle bumped with Spencer.

"I know, I'm like the campion at it." Spencer laughed.

I just shook my head as I watched Spencer and Ryan act like goofballs.

"Lexa, I'm sorry, but your brother is such a weirdo." Skylar said to me, laughing.

"Hey Skylar, shut up I'm just being original." Spencer said looking over at her. "Plus you act like you're a five year old child."

"Can't argue with that." Skylar laughed.

I watched as my friends and my brother joked around as they ate their lunch. My brother and I get along well with him only being a year younger so we have the same friends.

"So who is ready for senior prom?" Jess asked looking at us excitedly.

"We know Mrs. Girly that you are excited." I laughed looking at her. "I'm excited too."

"I'm so excited to wear my perfect dress, it'll be-" She was about to continue but we heard a shrilling scream.

Everyone in the cafeteria stopped talking and looked in the direction it came from. It was outside of the cafeteria, it was in the hallway.

"What was that?" Ryan whispered looking over at all of us.

Before anyone of us could answer several people busted through one of the cafeteria doors, screaming and yelling for us to run.

That's when we saw it, a horde of gross looking people stumbling after them. It was something you see in a horror movie. They had cloudy eyes and pale skin and some of them had blood or cuts on them.

Several people started running and I knew we had to hide to save ourselves.

"Follow me! Now!" I yelled at my friends as I got up and started running towards the exit of the cafeteria closes to us.

I ran over to the stairwell and check to make sure everyone was still behind me. I ran down to the first floor and ran into a classroom with no windows. Everyone ran in the room and I shut the door, locking it.

"What was that?!" I heard Jess yell, freaking out.

"Shh, whisper, they can probably hear us." I whispered walking away from the door and over to them.

"Lexa why didn't we just run outside and go into our cars?" Spencer asked, looking at me.

"Because the horde probably came from outside, also everyone is probably leaving here so it'll be chaos out there." I whispered back.

"So what do we do?" Ryan asked.

"We stay here and stay quiet and safe, and find out what's going on." I said. "Spencer text mom and dad, find out if they are okay." He nodded as he pulled out his phone. "I'll use the computer to see if I can find out what's happening." I said as I walked over to the teachers classroom computer.

Once I pulled up the internet, breaking news reports started to pop everywhere. One talking about a virus that killed people but then they came back to life. Another saying how the dead people were eating the living.

"Everyone over here." I whispered and they all walked over to me, looking at the screen. "This was the last report an hour ago. The only way of killing these things are by removing the head or destroying the brain." I said and I turned to face them.

"So what should we do?" Ryan asked.

"I say we stay here for a few hours till we know everything has calmed down out there. Then I say we make our way out of here." I said and they all nodded. "But in the meantime, we stay here and stay quiet."

They all nodded their heads and we all sat on the floor, waiting. I looked around at all the students book bags on the floor. I got up and started looking through a book bag. I took out a bag of pretzels and a half empty water bottle. I go back over to the group and set them down.

"Why are you looking through that book bag?" Jess asked.

"We are going to need supplies and people carry food and water with them to school all the time so I'm looking through them." I said quietly as I looked through the rest of the bags.

After I finished looking I ended up with 10 water bottles, 5 bags of chips, 6 granola bars, 3 packs of gum, 4 Advil pills, 2 flashlights, a mirror, and a pocket knife.

"See, useful stuff." I smiled as I looked at the stuff.

I emptied out one book bag and filled it with the supplies. I grabbed the pocket knife and looked at my watch.

"It's 7pm, I think we should see if it's clear." I whispered. "But you all need stuff to protect yourself first." I said as I got up and grabbed a bunch of pencils and pairs of scissors. I handed everyone a pair of scissors and I couple sharp pencils. "Remember aim for the brain." I said as I put the book bag on.

I stood up and walked over to the door, the others behind me. "Stay close okay?" I said and they nodded.

I slowly opened the door and pecked my head out. It was dark except for a few flickering lights. I turned on a flashlight and Spencer turned on the other as we quietly walked out. Blood was on the floor and lockers as we walked down the hallway. Most of the classroom doors were open or broken. As we kept walking we noticed a closed door. I walked over and gently knocked on it.

"Is anyone in there?" I whispered.

"Who is it?" I heard and girl voice say.

"My name is Lexa." I said, as I held the knife close to me.

The door opened revealing and blonde haired girl with blue eyes. She had her hair up in a ponytail.

"Colleen." I said excitedly, as I hugged her tightly. I looked inside the classroom seeing more people.

We walked inside the room she was in and closed the door locking it.

"Have you seen Teddy or Tanner?" I asked, as I looked at Colleen.

"We are right here." I heard Teddy say as I looked over at them and hugged them tightly.

"I'm glad all of us are together and with more people, the more the better." I said to Colleen.

"I know what's happening, but what do we do?" She asked me.

I smiled as I looked around at the people we had.

"We live, we survive, and we build a civilization." I said, looking at everyone.
___________________________
I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of Leaders. Please vote and comment on what you'd like to see next. Warning you now this story will have cussing, violence, and it also has a lesbian love story in it. And for The 100 fans, yes I made up new characters but there with be characters from The 100 later in the story. But thanks for reading! Bye!