17. who you are

The curly-haired boy jumped on the motorcycle, young Tristan's informative words replaying in his head. His voice was all he could hear. He wasn't sure what he was supposed to think. The video explained a lot, but it didn't explain the one thing Bambi was worried about - where the hell he came from.

It worried him every second of the day. He wanted to know of his family, of his past, where he was before all he became was a controlled robot to the military. He didn't know how to feel. So many thoughts kept swarming through his head. Brad wasn't used to thinking too much at once. It hurt his brain, leaving pain coursing throughout the twenty-year-old's head. He felt like just rolling into a ball and giving up. Brad had always thought he was a part of something, a part of something important. But after all this time his expectations had been too high. He was just an inhuman weapon for the government that was only relevant for military use. Nothing special. Bambi no longer liked himself like before. He'd been so hopeful and optimistic about himself only to find out he was worthless.

Inhaling and exhaling, he started the engine, aimlessly speeding off down the road leading to nowhere. The wind rustling through his curls distracted him from the negative thoughts dominating his mind. He zoomed through the streets emotionlessly, wondering where he was taking himself to. All he could do was keep his eyes glued to the concrete, fighting off tears that blinded his vision. He wouldn't have cared if he wrecked the motorcycle and died, but he didn't want to leave Tristan all alone, even though he was positive the twenty-one-year-old didn't need someone like him. Someone that wasn't even human.

As night began to roll in, the curly-haired boy parked the vehicle in the parking lot of a convenience store, intentions to buy a chocolate bar with the money he'd stolen from the grumpy James. Pocketing his small hands into his dark-coloured jeans, he trudged into the store, slowly making his way around the small space.

He smiled happily as he finally laid eyes on the chocolate lined up on the aisle, brown eyes excitedly scanning the rows as he contemplated which one he should buy. He thought maybe he should purchase one for Tristan, too. It could be a surprise apology present for throwing him onto the floor and running out on him after the country's fate was suddenly thrown onto his shoulders.

"Solo hazlo y ve!" [Just do it and go!] he heard a male's voice whisper-shout from his right. It sounded familiar, but Bambi couldn't remember exactly where he'd heard it from. "No podemos perder nuestra oportunidad otra vez! Y por culpa tuya." [We can't miss our opportunity once again! Because of you.]

"P-pero," [B-but] another male voice sheepishly stammered, Scottish accent lacing the man's words. "No creo que estoy listo, ay dos cámaras aquí." [I don't think I'm ready. There are two cameras in here.]

"Olvídate de las cámaras! Vamos a ser arrestados de todos modos." [Forget the cameras! We're going to get arrested anyway.]

"¿Puedes dejar de ser tan pesimista?" [Could you stop being so pessimistic?]

"No, estoy siendo realista, novato. Ya sabes que estamos en profundo. No podemos caer mas bajo, verdad? Lo mas rápido que haces lo que planeamos, lo mas rápido vamos a ser capaces de salir de aquí." [No, I'm being realistic, newbie. You already know we're in deep. We can't get any lower, can we? The faster you do what we planned, the faster we'll be able to get the hell out of here.]

"Okay, okay," the reluctant voice muttered, a loud sigh following his words.

Brad hesitantly picked up two chocolate bars and turned to walk towards the cash register. Suddenly, a bag was thrown over his head and the world quickly darkened around him, his feet easily being swiped from the floor as his small body was lifted high up in the air and carried away.