30. the scariest thing

"You guys promised that this wouldn't be a part of the plan anymore," Brad informed the crew. They were all nonchalantly watching James stroll into the living room with two strangers strapped to chairs, unconscious. Two terribly underdressed strangers. Bambi didn't know either one of them, but he had morals that he incessantly reminded the crew of. The only one who seemed to be slightly uncomfortable at the fact they'd kidnapped two entirely innocent men was Tristan. But he'd been wearing the same mortified expression from the moment he'd woken up that morning, especially after hearing the sudden change of plans. There were probably a lot of things he was uncomfortable with at the moment.

"People break promises," James replied with a careless shrug. "It's not like we killed them or anything. When either one of them wake up, they won't even know Joe and Connor borrowed their identity for a few hours."

"Please, guys, no more hurting people, okay?" Bambi pleaded.

"That's a promise none of us can keep." James laughed at the possibility. "We're breaking into the government's headquarters. This isn't going to be all smooth sailing and friendly."

"Okay, guys, we're on schedule," Joe informed the crew as he entered the living room in one of their victims' work uniforms. "Let's hurry up, and try not to make this as much of a fail as last time."

"Last time?" Bambi repeated. He turned to Joe attentively and plopped down on the couch, like a child at the mention of a bedtime story.

"Yeah, when we came to get you," Connor chimed in, sporting an identical uniform to Joe's. Everyone instantly paused at his reply, the room suddenly enveloping in silence as the brown-eyed boy questioningly glanced around the living room for an hour. He repeated his question after receiving only more silence from his friends.

The curly-haired boy questioningly darted his eyes around. "What?"

Connor sighed. "Damn it! You guys have to tell me when secrets are still supposed to be secrets!"

"Think, Con! Why would we tell him that? It'd only make things more complicated." James wheeled the chairs into the closet a little too forcefully before sliding the door closed.

"Does anyone want to explain this to me?" Brad impatiently questioned the trio. Joe backed away, leaving it up to Connor and James who locked eyes. They started making amusing, angered facial expression with each other, like they were having a conversation through their faces. As far as Bambi could tell, they were literally having an argument through looks.

Finally, James let out a defeated sigh. Brad instantly turned towards him in anticipation. "Ugh, it's whatever. I put you in Tristan's trunk, okay?"

"But..." Bambi knitted his brows together out of confusion. "That doesn't really add up. Why would you do that?"

"Because I believed in the two of you," James sheepishly confessed. "I believed that if the two of you remembered your past, then we'd have a better chance at freeing all the humans being experimented on. I mean, Tristan is the son of two GBI agents, and he had access to a lot of things he certainly shouldn't have. So, I thought it'd help us out a lot. For our benefit."

"Oh," Bambi decided on saying. There was no other word in his vocabulary he could appropriately reply with. It was all quite a bit to take in.

"But I didn't know my real parents," Tristan silently interjected out of nowhere. For a split second, the curly-haired boy had forgotten he was sitting there, listening in on their conversation. He wondered if Tristan had known about this, but according to the question, he most likely hadn't. "As far as I knew, I was a normal Uni student. How would I have been any help?"