28. don't be afraid

"Tris!"

The twenty-one-year-old peeled his heavy eyelids open, taking in the curly-haired man hovering over him with an innocent smile. He had a large plate in his hands and unsurprisingly one of Tristan's jumpers hanging off of his small body. But he wasn't holding a plate of pancakes like expected. There was a chubby omelette placed on it instead. Tristan smiled at the sight and the smell, earning a wide smile from the younger man in return.

"Morning," Tristan greeted. He caught sight of the sunlight seeping through the living room's opened blinds. He was happy to wake up to sunlight and food, and not darkness and his boyfriend rushing him to take a shower. Though, it confused him why Brad hadn't woke him earlier for training. Sure, Tristan was getting a tad better at protecting himself from the paintball machine, but it wasn't like he was really any good at defending himself. Though, he'd went over the plan with the group more than once, and he knew it better than his own name. If things went how planned, Tristan most likely wouldn't interfere with an agent, and if he did, he had Bambi. And if it were too much for Bambi to handle, (which practically nothing is,) then they're all fucked.

The curly-haired man impatiently waved the plate in front of his face.

"Is this for me?" Tristan finally questioned.

"Yes." He placed the hot plate in his hands before nudging his hip against Tristan's. "Scoot, please."

There wasn't much space on the couch to scoot over, but Tristan followed his request anyway. Bambi just decided on plopping down on his lap, resting his headful of curls on his boyfriend's chest and nuzzling his warm little face in Tristan's neck. The twenty-one-year-old smiled down at him as he took a hold of the fork on his plate and pulled out a chunk stuffed of meat and dripping cheese. "So, you made this yourself?"

"Kind of," he replied. "Connor helped me a lot."

Tristan took a bite and hummed in approval of the mouth-watering taste. "It's perfect," the blue-eyed man informed him as he went in for another chunk. "Do you want some?"

"Sure." Tristan went to cut him a piece before Bambi's fingers were suddenly pressed to his mouth, pushing past his lips.

Tristan locked his fingers around the younger man's wrist and pulled his hand away. A slight laugh escaped his nearly full mouth at the confusion on his face. "What are you doing, love?"

"I thought you asked if I wanted some."

"No, I meant from the plate."

"Oh." He nodded slowly in understanding, eyes trailing to the food in his lap.

Tristan hurriedly gripped him by the wrist again as he inched his fingers towards the omelette. "I would recommend you to use the utensil and not your hands, Bambi."

"Too many rules to do something so simple," the curly-haired boy murmured.

Another laugh escaped the dark-haired boy's lips. He stabbed the fork into the belly of the omelette, bringing the steaming piece to his boyfriend's lips. "Now, you can go for it."

He slowly bit into it. Tristan couldn't help but smile along with him as he chewed. He swore Bambi's smile could cheer up the most miserable person in the country. Everything about him was just so - ugh. But a good ugh. Just looking at him made the twenty-one-year-old feel like the happiest person in the world. He could be doing absolutely nothing, and it'd have him beaming like an idiot.