7/19

Beta: Manon, Shemar & Naomi, Phyllis, Carol, Niroveka, Dis & Aranel

Disclaimer: I own only the plot; Tolkien though was the one that created the great world of Middle Earth. I do not own the Lord of the Rings (and associated) book series, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of the story. 

--

Haldir prepared himself as dawn arrived to kill the orcs. He still hoped to see Legolas wake up.

"Haldir?" Aragorn called out to him, and reached him before he had mounted his horse.

"What is it, my lord?" Haldir asked. There was revenge in his eyes – revenge and guilt, as he felt he failed in his duty.

"Is there anything that we can do that will make you stay, so that you are here when Legolas awakes?" Aragorn asked, his eyes pleading with Haldir.

"I am sorry my lords, but I have to do my duty. I failed the ones who had put their trust in me," Haldir said. Swallowing hard, he mounted his horse.

Haldir gave one last look at Legolas; yes, his color had returned, but he could feel there was still something wrong with the elf.

Gimli saw the look on Haldir's face, and came forward. "What is worrying you?" he asked.

"He should be awake by now..." Haldir mumbled, wondering why the elf had not opened his eyes.

Aragorn got angry and decided to do what a king should do.

"Haldir. Stay!" King Elessar ordered.

Haldir looked at him; he was furious and tried to ignore Aragorn, but without success.

"Haldir, we need you," Aragorn begged him. The man looked at the dwarf, then looked back at Haldir.

"Alright then, I need you, please stay..." Aragorn cried.

Haldir looked first at the prince, then at the king. He was aware of the dwarf staring at him, then turned to the other elves who were waiting for him. He ordered them to go and, if there were any orcs, co come back and inform him.

They looked at Haldir, bowed to him, and left.

Gimli began to cry.

Legolas blinked as one of Gimli's tears fell on his face.

"He is awake..." Gimli cheered, happy Legolas had opened his eyes.

"Thank you Haldir," Aragorn said. He could not help crying, and wiped away the tears.

"Any time," Haldir said, and looked very pleased.

"Legolas?" they called.

Legolas' sight seemed blurry when he first opened his eyes.

He accepted he was dying, but then he saw a light appear and it blinded him a little.

He got life instead of death.

'Why?' he asked, wondering.

"Legolas, you are alive," Gimli said.

Legolas closed his eyes, remembering the words he had with the lord of Mandos Halls. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Why do you choose death?" he heard the lord asked him.

"I failed them," Legolas replied.

"What makes you think YOU failed them?" the lord asked, not convinced.

"I did not even defend myself. I am better off dead," Legolas answered, his eyes begging the lord to take him.

"I can not give you what you wish for; your friends did everything to save your life. Repay them by living; do not ever give up, and do not try to kill yourself," the lord suggested, and then disappeared.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legolas opened his eyes again, watching his friends.

"How do you fare?" Aragorn asked him.

Legolas nodded.

"I believe he lives and is well, Aragorn. " Haldir translated the meaning of the nod.

"Are you thirsty?" Aragorn asked.

All Aragorn needed was to hear his friend's voice once again. He needed to hear him, and hoped Legolas would forgive him.

Still Legolas did not talk. His eyes were wide open, staring at them.

They all frowned at him.

"Is something wrong?" Aragorn asked. He thought he was going mad.

"Why is he not answering?" Aragorn asked Haldir. He felt he was starting to lose control.

"I suppose Legolas does not want to say anything," Haldir said, looking at Legolas, who decided to close his eyes.

"Legolas, lad..." Gimli called, grabbing Legolas' shoulders and shaking him a little. "Please talk to me, you are frightening me," he pleaded.

Legolas did not open his eyes, nor did he say anything.

All Legolas wanted was to die; it was what he asked for, and he cursed the lord of Mandos, at the same time wondering why.