13/19

Beta: Manon, Shemar & Naomi, Phyllis, Carol, Niroveka, Dis & Aranel

Disclaimer: I own only the plot; Tolkien though was the one that created the great world of Middle Earth. I do not own the Lord of the Rings (and associated) book series, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of the story.

--

"Once Legolas starts feeling better, we have to sort things out!" Aragorn exclaimed.

Haldir looked at Aragorn, then at Gimli, and said, "I *do* hope that you are not blaming yourself for what happened to your friend..."

Aragorn swallowed; he did feel guilty, though he did not dare say it in front of the dwarf.

He blamed himself even more when he had heard the words Legolas – his friend – had said.

"Aragorn?" Gimli called to him as he noticed the wary look on the human's face.

Aragorn looked at the dwarf, but kept his mouth shut.

"Aragorn, what is it?" Haldir turned towards Aragorn and noticed the wary look too. He felt that there was something amiss.

Aragorn's eyes were drawn towards Legolas. Then he just let go of his pain and guilt that was in his heart and cried.

He felt responsible for him somehow, wishing that he was not mortal, as Legolas saved his life and Gimli's because of their mortality.

"Cry my friend, release the pain from you," Haldir said softly as he squeezed Aragorn's shoulders.

Aragorn cried and murmured, "You should not have done it, my friend; it is not worth it to sacrifice yourself like this for your friends or for me..."

Gimli heard what Aragorn murmured and turned to Haldir. "He is right; Legolas took too many risks and believed too much in his immorality just to save our lives. It has to stop!"

Haldir sighed. On the one hand he felt they wrong, but on the other, there was some wisdom in what the dwarf said.

"You are right, dear friend, though it also means that Legolas is very loyal to you, as he is ready to sacrifice himself anytime to save your life, time and again..." Haldir was cut off by the dwarf, who seemed pleased with the elf's words.

"I knew it, you agree. You will have to help us to let him know that..." Now it was Haldir's turn to cut off Gimli.

"Wait, master dwarf, I did not finish what I was saying before," Haldir said, his eyes on Legolas. Looking back at Gimli, as he sighed heavily and added, "I do believe that Aragorn is wrong in what he says – can you not hear yourself? Legolas saved you because of your friendship – because you were worth saving!"

Aragorn raised his head as he heard Haldir's words and said, "I am a fool then. I did not think when I said those words; there was no reason to say them. I should be ashamed of myself."