12/19

Beta: Manon, Shemar & Naomi, Phyllis, Carol, Niroveka, Dis & Aranel

Disclaimer: I own only the plot; Tolkien though was the one that created the great world of Middle Earth. I do not own the Lord of the Rings (and associated) book series, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of the story.

--

Gimli and Haldir watched Legolas as he lay sleeping, while Aragorn brought food that he had found in the woods.

As he gave them the food, he looked at Legolas. His eyes were still closed, his hair covered with dry blood, and the bandage on his neck was dirty.

"Gimli, can you remember the last time when either of us changed the bandage on his neck?" Aragorn asked.

"I do not remember..." Gimli said, looking at Aragorn and shrugging his shoulders. He started to worry, thinking that there was something wrong with Legolas.

"We need to carefully remove the old bandage and replace it with a new one," Aragorn said.

Gimli watched as Aragorn removed the bandage and put it aside. Aragorn put some healing herbs onto the wound before Gimli gave him the clean bandage. Once Aragorn had put the bandage on, he and Gimli just looked at each other.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legolas tried to open his eyes. He was in pain from his wounds.

He could feel Aragorn's hands on him, but he barely understood his words. To his ears it was just noise.

Legolas blinked and tried to sit up, but stopped when he felt his friend gently pushing him back down.

"Sleep, my friend... let your body heal..." Aragorn whispered to him.

Too weak to do anything else, Legolas relaxed and allowed his eyes to close. Soon he was asleep again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gimli watched Haldir as the elf walked around the clearing. The elf appeared anxious, and Gimli felt the need to know what it was that was bothering him.

"Haldir?" Gimli called.

Haldir turned towards the dwarf; he did not say anything, but there was a sad smile on his face.

"What is it, mellon?" Gimli asked concerned.

"I need to leave soon," Haldir said. He could feel how his lips trembled, and added, "It is my time; I can feel it on the breeze..."