11/19

Beta: Manon, Shemar & Naomi, Phyllis, Carol, Niroveka, Dis & Aranel

Disclaimer: I own only the plot; Tolkien though was the one that created the great world of Middle Earth. I do not own the Lord of the Rings (and associated) book series, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of the story.

--

Aragorn and Gimli stared at each other, and then they turned and looked at Legolas who lay on the ground, his eyes closed.

"Forgive me Aragorn, I am not myself lately," Gimli confessed and walked away.

"Wait, Gimli..." Aragorn called and followed the dwarf.

Gimli turned back to Aragorn. "I am sorry too, Gimli. I know you are worried about Legolas, as am I," said Aragorn. Gimli nodded, accepting Aragorn's apology.

Haldir smiled. 'Finally. Now I only hope that Legolas will be awake soon,' he thought.

They all heard a whimpering sound. Gimli glared at Aragorn, waiting for Aragorn to say something. Even though they had apologised to each other, the dwarf was a little tired of Aragorn jumping to conclusions. But the man only looked at Gimli sadly.

"I was not going to say anything, my friend," Aragorn said, guessing what the dwarf was thinking. He added, "I am only going to see how Legolas is doing."

Haldir nodded and stared at the dwarf who groaned and nodded.

Aragorn continued to look at Gimli, and then looked back at Legolas. "Forgive me, both of you... I failed you..." he said, his voice breaking.

Legolas could hear Aragorn's words, and he felt he should say something. He tried to lift his head, but stopped when he felt the pain in his neck. He whimpered again, and the others gathered around him.

Aragorn knelt down beside his friend and gently pushed him back down. "Rest, my friend, you are still in pain. Only with rest can you begin to heal," he said softly.

"..." Legolas opened his mouth to respond, but no words came out.

"I am here, as are Gimli and Haldir..." Aragorn said, gently squeezing Legolas' shoulder. "Go to sleep, mellon-nin; we will watch over you."

"... I..." Legolas tried once more to say something, but his voice faded away.

"Rest, lad... you need to rest," Gimli said.

Legolas did not have the strength to argue, and he soon fell asleep.

Aragorn, Gimli and Haldir watched silently as Legolas breathed steadily, each of them glad that the elf appeared to be resting peacefully.