Chapter one

Chapter 1
Austen Ashworth

"What!" I abruptly stood up my seat and glared at my uncle Parker. I can't believe what I was hearing!

He just looked at me with sympathy.

"I am sorry Austen, but you have to marry him. It is the only way to strengthen the company. Didn't you say that its stocks are running low? And besides, his father is your old man's best friend. He was really close with your father. I'm sure he would be so proud of you if you abide his wishes." He explained.

I looked at him with widened eyes.

I felt my heart shatter when he mentioned my father. Many years had passed already, yet I still miss him and my mother so much. They died in a plane crash when they were away for a business trip. Suddenly, I felt tears pricking my eyes. I miss the love of my parents.

"Uncle Parker, I am a billionaire already! I am successful! What 'strengthen' do you mean? We have lost a few stocks but it is nothing that I can't handle!" I exclaimed.

"I do not want to marry him! I- I can't." I let the tears fall freely. Anyone but him. I felt arms wrapped around me.

I was in an awful mood since early this morning. One, because I lost a few stocks in my business, and two, my uncle announced that I'll be marrying a pompous brute. The person that tormented me in my younger years.

Carson Mallory.

Out of all the guys in the world, why did it have to be him? Why couldn't it be Channing Tatum? Even if it has been so many years already, I couldn't forget what he had done to me. I still hear of him sometimes. I've heard that he has been popular with the ladies lately. He is said to be a complete womanizer. Also, I have heard that he was now a successful business man.

I don't even know why but he had always treated me unjustly. Maybe it's because I wasn't as pretty as before. I wasn't like the beautiful socialites that crowded him. To be honest, I really had a strong infatuation towards him before. Turns out he was an arse. Though, I knew he would never go for a girl like me. Not like I care today.

When I was in high school, I had big glasses (I still have them now but I don't wear it as often as before), I had braces, and my hair was always messy. Like I messed up jungle, I swear.

That was when I was fifteen.

We used to be neighbours and we would always play with each other when we were younger.

He started to make my life like hell when I turned thirteen. It's a good thing that I left immediately after the death of my parents. It helped me clear my thoughts and avoid the bullying from Carson's little cronies.

Ah, I was so young and naive back then. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

I also remember when my parents were invited to this social gathering of some famous politician...

F L A S H B A C K

I was just in the corner reading a new book. I looked up and saw that my parents were talking to a group of powerful people. They were probably some rich snob. Rolling my eyes, I continued my reading. At least here, I find peace.

Half through the story, Carson and his group of friends appeared and did the most unreasonable thing. He grabbed the book that I was reading and threw insults at me. Apparently they were invited here too since they're family is part of this social status. The rich. The elite.