Chapter 27 - Beautiful Scars On Critical Veins (i)

Song - Underneath - Adam Lambert

The very first time I got on the plane to England, I made a promise to be a good guy and always follow rules. Sure my relatives had always assumed the worst of me and my father, but I was never a troublesome kid.

Never in my life had I ever thought that I would see the inside of police station. Especially not for something like this.

Detective Palin led Axel and I to a small room with a grey door that was his office. Axel held my hand the entire time as if sensing exactly what was going through my mind. He couldn't. Not really anyway. But I'm glad that we were so inline with each other that he knew when things had hit me particularly hard.

The truth was that I didn't know what rattled me so much. Maybe it was the feeling inside that said impending doom was on its way. It might be only exaggerated imagination. Or it could be accurate intuition. Somehow I was hoping that it wouldn't lean unto the later.

Detective Palin adjusted his suspenders before huffing down on his seat. "Take a seat please."

"Thank you." I replied.

Axel had already sat down before permission was granted. My guess was that he didn't particularly feel up to wasting time.

The detective sighed opening his file "The men who assaulted you were questioned repeated and refused to cooperate with us all this while. Which is the main reason your case was delayed for so long. However, after the brilliant suggestion of one of my colleagues, we came up with the impression that they worked for someone above them who they were afraid to reveal. We played them into thinking that the other had confessed about it. Finally we got a suspect."

"And?" Axel inquired holding my hand tighter.

Detective Palin looked straight at me "Kendall, sorry is it alright if I call you by your first name?"

"Very." I replied politely.

He nodded "Have you been in contact with anyone by the name of Gordon Fraiser?"

I frowned in confusion "I've never heard of that name before."

"Exactly as I suspected. But there is someone of particular significance to you who does." He said folding his hands.

"Who detective?" My boyfriend asked, equally as confused.

"Mara Ross."

My blood went cold and my entire body went as stiff as cement "W-What?"

"Babe who is she?" Axel asked in both curiosity and concern at my reaction.

"My sister."

Even I couldn't recognise my own voice. It sounded too hollow, too distant to be mine. "What does she have to do with this?"

He let out a gust of air through his lips "Those men say that your sister ordered that hit on you."

I didn't know then that it was entirely possible for my body to go so cold. I was numb. I couldn't feel anything. Nor could I hear anything. Nothing, but the sound of my belated beating heart.

"I'm sorry you had to find out this way Kendall." Detective Palin said sounding a bit sympathetic at my plight. I didn't even reply him.

"Kendall.... are you ok?" Axel asked hesitantly.

I said nothing nor did I turn to face him.

"Detective are you absolutely sure of what you're saying?" Axel asked again without taking his eyes off me.