Chapter 6 - A New World

Warning Mild Sexual Content. Be warned ;)

“Hello? Kendall is that you sweetheart?”

I bit my lip “Yes mom it is.”

“Oh sweetie I’ve missed you so much. You don’t call home anymore.” I glanced at the clock in my room. It was sometime between 1 and 2 AM but it was the only time I could catch her awake due to the different time zones. The truth was that I couldn’t sleep ever since I placed my head on the pillow a few hours ago. It was hot and I felt sweaty and restless until I decided that I had enough credit on my phone to make an international call to my mom.

“Sorry just been busy with college and stuff.” I bit my lip because that was only half-truth. I’d had plenty opportunities to call her last week alone despite my schedule.

“Is everything alright sweetie?” her voice was worried. She sounded warm and safe and comforting and home, everything I wanted but couldn’t have at the moment.

 I swallowed painfully “Yes mom. Just really wanted to say that I miss you.”

“Aww sweetie I miss you too. This big house is boring without you or your sister.” I held back the bile in my throat “And it’s really tiring making dinner for only one except when Paul’s around.” Paul was the man my mother had been seeing for the past two years and I couldn’t really say anything about him except that he was nice and treated my mom like a princess. And he didn’t ever try to impose himself as my dad and I was happy he respected that about me.

“I'll probably see you during spring break.” I said.

She hummed “Well thank you for calling me out of the blue like this. I really appreciate this.”

“Me too mom.” And I was sincere.

“Did Mara call you any time this week?” my heart stopped for a moment.

“No.”

“Oh.” She sounded disappointed “You two should call each other more often.”

“It’s fine mom.” I said hurriedly in a plot to stop the subject from going further. Mom was quiet “I hope you're taking care of yourself like you promised.”

“I am.”

“Ok. I love you my precious boy.”

The tears clogged at my throat almost made it impossible for me to say a single word. “Love you too mom.”

The line went dead.

                                                               *****

In between all the tossing and crying and thinking and muffling my screams through my pillow and being generally miserable I managed to get some sleep. Only it was too short before I woke up to Pierce staring at me and clutching my comforter.

I grunted covering my head with the duvet until my brain finally registered what I had seen.

“What the hell Pierce!”

He gave a sheepish smile “It’s almost noon. You never sleep past nine, even on weekends. I was worried.”

At that moment any trace of annoyance was flushed out of my system and I sighed at his thoughtfulness. “Thanks for caring P.”

He smiled brightly for a moment “And I also want to know why you came back last night with map-sized hickeys and tried to assassinate me with a shoe on top of it.” I really wanted to laugh at his expression but managed to keep a straight face.