Chapter 12 - Lies That Bind Part 1

Pain. The unending pain was the first thing I felt on waking up. The beeping sounds around me slowly dragged me back to consciousness. I felt heavy, like my body had become a bag of cement overnight. But the one thing that I couldn’t keep up with was the pain. The putrid stench of disinfectant and dread made me know immediately that this was a hospital.

“Shit he’s awake.” I heard a familiar voice.

There were feet shuffling around and frantic voices but I couldn’t make them out individually.

“Kendall, Kendall can you hear me?”

I gently fluttered my eyes open “Axel?”

“It’s alright babe. I'm here now, I'm here for you.” he soothed gently. And for the first time since waking up something seemed to finally make sense.

*48 hours earlier*

My bones were aching. It was bad enough that I spent the entire day at the library finishing not one, but two reports but I also did a pop quiz that drained the energy out of me completely. There was nothing I wanted more than to fall into bed and sleep for a billion freaking years. But alas fate was not on my side as I had to stop and help Pierce pick up something from a friend of his in the dorms.

At the end of the day I was completely discouraged from sleeping and decided to hit the local Starbucks for a boost.

I ordered a tall cup of Vanilla Bean, sipping the sweet hot coffee as I wrestled my way out of the shop.

My plan was to go straight home and rest up before waking up for some more zombie-like reading. But my plans were deterred when I bumped into the person I wanted absolutely nothing to do with.

“Shit can you watch where the fuck you're going?! This jacket costs more than your bloody existence!” Jerry shouted pushing my roughly. It was no secret that his family was on the wealthy side since he so generously broadcasted it. I guess they were bankers or something.

It was a good thing that only a little bit of my coffee spilled away but not on Jerry. I guess he didn’t care about that little detail.

“I'm sorry jeez it was an accident.” I tried to apologize.

Jerry looked irritated “You're lucky seeing as you wouldn’t even be able to afford the bloody dry-cleaning.” I tried not to roll my eyes at that.

“I'm sorry.” I tried one more time being the more sensible one.

“Stupid fag.” I’d like to say that his words stung and made me feel bad. But the truth was that I already had my fair share if insults and homophobic slurs that the only thing I could do now was the close my eyes and think about better things which mattered to me. “It’s not like I expect anything less from a bloody cocksucker.”

“Your problem not mine.” I muttered moving to the bus stop without a single glance back.

A part of me hoped that he would remain there still spewing insults and appearing as a bigger idiot than normal. But the more mature part of me had forgotten about it in a second.

When I got back to the complex I noticed the black town car parked in front, looking so out of place in my tacky block of flats. I rolled my eyes walking to the car and tapping at the window. It rolled down immediately to reveal a questioning Axel.

“Wanna explain to me why you're parked out here like a stalker?” I asked in an exasperated tone.

“I was coming to take you out for dinner but someone doesn’t seem very grateful.” Axel sighed like it was the most logical thing in the world to say.