16

LANE

My arms remained tight across my chest, my feet carrying me in a direction only they seemed aware of. I wasn't paying any attention to where I was going, other than away from Harrys office. I didn't care what I was doing, so long as it was getting away from him.

I felt my anger rippling over me, my eyes blurred with a mixture of its radiance and brimming tears. Finally, after all but running several blocks once escaping the tall, impressive glass building Harry called work, I stepped to the side, leaning against a brick wall.

My breath was heavy, and I couldn't tell if it was because of my anger, or the exertion of my escape. My eyes flickered back over the path I had taken, fully expecting to find Harry chasing me down. When I saw no sign of him, I sighed with relief.

My eyes fell to the sidewalk, my mind churning with images of Christina's glare at me, her appreciation of Harry, and his obvious taunts towards her. I knew I was overreacting, just as I knew he was telling the truth when he said nothing had happened between them. That wasn't the true source of my anger.

What was, was the fact that he just forced me to participate in a blatant display of 'see what you cant have', as if it was nothing. All that, after his full on, wall breaking, fist cracking explosion only nights before after a dream I had no control over? It was unfortunate that his concerns about Neil had been true, just as my own about Christina were as well. But where I had been blind, having absolutely no idea, Harry had known all this time. And gone so far as to flaunt me at this girl, as if her pursuit of him was nothing but a game.

His hypocrisy annoyed me, causing another flare in my anger. If I had done what he just did, allowing Neil to flirt with me, only to show Harry off like some sexy British acquisition, he would be angry. He would all but demand me to stay away from him, just as he had done already. And when he did it to me, he was actually surprised and confused when I was angry?

Why were men so bloody dense?

Sighing loudly, I pushed myself off the wall, rejoining the flow of pedestrian traffic along the sidewalk. I had only a few little places I wanted to check out during my day, and even though it was only shortly after nine, I already felt exhausted and considered just going back to Harrys flat.

The consideration was pushed away quickly, deciding he was not going to ruin my day. Just as I pulled out my phone, looking down to check the list of places and maps I had stored the night before, I saw two missed calls and three texts from Harry.

I had left his office less than ten minutes ago, and he was already frantic.

I frowned, opening his texts.

Harry: what the fuck just happened?

Harry: babe, please come back here so we can talk about this? I can't leave work now until lunch!

Harry: Lane!

My scowl only deepened as I read his words, contemplating not even listening to the single voice note he had left. But of course, since even when angry I had no control when it came to this boy, I quickly logged in to my messages.

"Lane, for Christ sake," he whispered angrily, and I could immediately picture him hunched down in his cubical, trying to sound harsh while simultaneously keeping others from hearing his conversation. "Nothing fucking happened with me and her! Why are you flipping out? This is nothing like the situation with that DWB prick! He actually made a move on you! This isn't the same fucking thing." He paused, sighing loudly. "Babe, please, just come back here so we can talk about this? You know I wont be able to concentrate for the rest of the damn day knowing you're pissed at me. Please."