40

LANE

The laughter ringing out from our small group sounded through the back yard. The most obvious of them being my fathers; a loud, booming, dominating laugh that bellowed over everyone else. Of course, my attention was on Harry, whose laugh was so infectious, so happy, and so rarely heard to this extent, I found myself trained on him, while all other eyes were focused on my Gran.

"Its not funny to see," she assured us, her voice stern. "The woman has no sense. And you can never get the sight of an eighty three year old woman in her knickers locked out of her apartment out of your mind."

My father snorted, leaning towards my gran.

"Mom, you're eighty four."

"I know that, James," she snapped. "But I am quite fit for my age. Gladys is so spring chicken. So much skin on one woman..."

To this, Harry choked, sputtering as he was trying to take a drink just as my Gran spoke. He coughed loudly, setting his drink down so he could slap himself on the chest.

This had been going on for quite a while; my gran regaling us with stories from her retirement home, of the shenanigans, drama and gossip that could only happen when you put a gathering of elderly men and women in a building together. It was literally like Days of Our Lives, Seniors Edition. So and so was flirting with so and so, but so and so was supposed to be courting so and so, and so and so told another person that so and so said to mind their own business....

The woman hadn't stopped talking since we finished our dinner just over and hour before. But I was thankful, because it kept the attention off of me. After dinner, came the cake, the embarrassing song, and the gifts. I had asked for only small things, gift cards and the like. The only person who ignored that request was my Gran, who gave me a ring. But not just any ring. It was one I had been eyeing for years, a simple, thin gold band, with small sapphire that had been given to her by my Granda as her engagement ring. They didn't have much money, never ones for flashy displays and jewelry. I knew my tendency had come from her, and even though I rarely wore jewelry, I had always admired this piece.

When I opened the box, my mouth dropped open, before turning to my gran.

"I know you've been wanting it for a while," she told me with a sly grin. "And I don't know how long I will be around. I would rather you have it now so I can see it make you happy, then wait till I'm dead."

"Gran," I frowned, always hating when she talked about her passing.

"Honey, I'm old. Old people die. Its just how it goes." She smiled dismissively, before urging me to put the ring on.

Her fingers were the small slim size as my own, and as I slid it over my right ring finger, I couldn't suppress my grin. I would never take it off.

"Now you just need one for the other hand," Gran commented, causing me to startle.

"Gran!" I scolded, causing her to laugh. She clapped her hands together, pleased with herself.

"Like I said, I'm not getting any younger. I want great grand babies before I die," to this, she turned to Harry, her expression stern. "Get to it, Harold."

I felt my face flame with embarrassment, as I covered my eyes with my hands. Oh my fucking God. This was why I never brought boys to meet my family. Because my family was bat shit crazy.

I could hear Harry laugh beside me, but refused to look his way.

"Just give me time," he quipped, before reaching out and peeling my hands from my face. I resisted him, but he was stronger, pulling my hands down until I was met with his grin.