17

HARRY

I all but ran through the threshold of my apartment, literally stumbling over my own feet in my haste to get inside. I was breathless and sweaty, my hair sticking to the back of my neck thanks to my hurried rush home from work. Immediately my eyes scanned the living room, searching for her.

I found her easily, standing in the kitchen, her attention down to her task. She was chopping vegetables, a colorful array of items littering my counter, a pot bubbling on the stove. She made no indication she was aware of my presence, but considering the loud and frantic state in which I had entered, I had no doubt she knew I was here.

It would seem she was still angry.

Sigh.

Closing the door behind me, I ventured into the kitchen cautiously, throwing my messenger bag onto the couch as I passed. My eyes were trained on her back, on the blonde tendrils of hair that fell from her ponytail, on the curve of her neck. She was wearing jeans and a thin strapped shirt, her bare shoulders slender and inviting.

Normally, I would waste no time in coming up behind her, bringing my arms around her middle and pulling her against me. My lips would immediately find her neck, my touch causing her to shiver.

But this wasn't a normal time between us. And I knew if I valued my manhood, I would tread cautiously.

Coming up to her side, I peered down at her. Again, she gave me no attention, her hands busy cutting up the peppers in front of her. On the counter I could see onions, peppers, tomatoes and garlic, glancing over to the pot to see what appeared to be sauce simmering.

When it became apparent I would have to be the one to speak first, I finally sighed.

"Lane?"

"Yes?" she replied coolly.

I paused for a moment, unsure what to say. Finally, I just said the first thing that came to my head.

"Hi."

I groaned inwardly, feeling ridiculous.

"Hi," she repeated, before tossing the cut peppers into the sauce on the stove.

Sighing, I reached out and took the knife from her hands carefully, setting it on the counter. I knew fighting with her while she had a sharp object was probably not a good idea, and the moment it was safely out of her grasp, I took her hands in mine.

Immediately she opened her mouth to complain, but I cut her off.

"We're going to talk," I said quickly. "Right now."

She frowned, a little crease forming between her eyebrows. "I'm making dinner....right now."

Reaching behind her, I turned the stove off, before dragging her out of the kitchen and towards the couch. I fully expected her to struggle, to literally pull from my grasp and stand her ground. So I couldn't hide my surprise when she actually let me lead her into the living room.

Setting her on the couch, I sat close beside her, our bodies angled towards each other. She glared at me, her eyes narrowed slightly with annoyance, but she did not try to escape.

She was so damn stubborn!

Again, another silence passed, making it clear again I would have to start.

"Care to explain what happened this morning?"

She snorted indelicately, rolling her eyes.

"Well, some beautiful woman came up and eyed you up and down blatantly in front of me. Then you all but humped my leg in front of her, for apparently no other purpose than to piss her off."