Chapter 10: Sorting Ceremony

• Dedicated to Katrina Batac

The door opened and a grin spread across my face as Professor McGonagall greeted us. Unlike in the orphanage, she looked strict and kinda scary. "The firs' years, Professor McGonagall" the giant told her. "Thank you Hagrid, I will take it from here." She said and Hagrid left. She led us inside the entrance hall. It was big and majestic, torches on the stone walls like the ones in Gringotts and a marble staircase leading to the other floors. We followed Professor McGonagall to an empty chamber hall although, I can here voices from somewhere in my right.

"Welcome to Hogwarts" she started. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. While you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. Your triumphs will earn your house points; any rule-breaking will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points wins the house cup. The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily" Her eyes lingered on some of the students. When her eyes landed on me I flashed a friendly smile but she turned away. Aw?

"I will return when we are ready for you," she added. "Please wait quietly" then she left. "So... sorting" I said turning to Laurence and Luigi. "How will they sort us, you think?" I asked. "I don't know but it's making me nervous" Laurence said biting her lower lip. "What house do you want to be in?" Luigi asked me. "Uhm, I haven't decided on that yet" I said stupidly. "I think I want to be in Gryffindor" Laurence said. "I want to be in Ravenclaw or in Slytherin" Luigi said grinning. "Slytherin?! Why?!" Laurence asked. "What's wrong with Slytherin?" I asked.

"Slytherin is the house of the meanies. You-know-who was sorted into Slytherin when he was here!" Laurence whispered. "Voldemort was a student in here?" I asked surprised and Laurence shivered at the sound of Voldemort's name. "Oops, sorry" I apologized. "Anyway, Luigi why Slytherin?"

"I don't know. A lot of people want to be in Gryffindor. I want to know what it's like in Slytherin" he said. I was about to answer when Professor McGonagall came back. "The Sorting Ceremony's about to start" she said. The students formed a straight line and we followed her through the doors of the Great Hall. If the castle up on a high mountain amazed you, what more if you saw the Great Hall? It was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L a hundred times more beautiful than the view of the castle. I mean hundreds or maybe even thousands of candle floating in midair, four long tables with glittering gold eating utensils and another long one in front where all the teachers are sitting. I looked up and saw the ceiling. But it wasn't an ordinary ceiling it actually looks like the night sky! The clouds and the sparkling stars!! I looked down before I could trip; Professor McGonagall placed a stool with a pointed wizard's hat on top of it. Okay, please tell me they won't ask us to pull things out of the hat because if they did I would look like a complete idiot.

But what happened next just half-scared and half-surprised me. The hat moved suddenly and there was a rip that looked like a mouth. What happened next?

THE HAT SANG!

Oh you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

if you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You'll make your real friends,

Those cunning folks use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!

And don't get in a flap!

You're in safe hands (though I have none)

For I'm a Thinking Cap!

Everyone burst into applause when the hat finished the song. "So we just have to put on the hat," Laurence said. "That's a relief!" "I know right." I muttered but I was still nervous. The fact that a lot of people are watching just scares me. Professor McGonagall stepped forward with a long roll of parchment. "When I call your name, you will put the hat and get sorted into your houses" she said. "Abbott Hannah!"

A girl stepped out of the line, sat on the stool and Professor McGonagall placed it on her head. It covered her eyes. In a few seconds...

"HUFFLEPUFF!!"

Students from the table of Hufflepuff shouted and cheered as Hannah joined them.

"Bones, Susan!"

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

"Boot, Terry!"

"RAVENCLAW!!"

Like the students of Hufflepuff, all the Ravenclaws cheered and shook hands with Terry as he joined them. Professor McGonagall called more names. A girl named Lavender Brown was sorted into Gryffindor and Millicent Bullstrode became Slytherin. More and more names we're called and I waited patiently for mine. "Malfoy, Draco!"

The boy I met from Madam Malkin's swaggered forward. The hat barely touched its head! "SLYTHERIN!!!" Malfoy smirked and sat with the Slytherins. I really don't like this boy. More names and the students in the line are getting fewer. I was starting to get bored already. More names... more names... more names... then suddenly...

"Potter, Harry!"

I was about to get out from the line when Professor McGonagall said the word POTTER but I was left confused when she said "Harry" instead of "Harriet". Harry stepped forward and everyone through the entire hall started whispering

"Potter, did she say?"

"The Harry Potter?"

It seems that he's very famous. Who is this "Harry Potter"? When he sat on the stool and faced the crowd my heart pounded so fast I thought it would go out of me. He wears glasses like I do, he has a scar like I do and he has eyes like I do... HE LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE ME. The weirdest part is... we're the same "Potter". Oh my gosh... is he----?!

"Difficult very difficult, plenty of courage I see, not a bad mind either. There's talent, oh yes and a nice thirst to prove yourself. But where to put you?" the sorting hat muttered. Whoever this person was, he was giving the hat a hard time. "Not Slytherin, eh?" the hat said. "Are you sure? You could be great, you know, it's all here in your head, and Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness, no doubt about that---no? Well, if you're sure---better be GRYFFINDOR!"

The cheers of the Gryffindors students almost deafened me. They we're all cheering and shouting. Harry had the loudest cheer yet. Almost everyone in the Gryffindor table wanted to shake his hand. "We got Potter! We got Potter!" two red haired twins cheered. It took a long time before the Gryffindors calmed down. When everyone was silent again...

"Potter, Harriet Angelica!"

Now everyone was confused and like with Harry, everyone was muttering. "Is that her?"

"Is that 'The Harriet Potter'?!"

Everyone looked so startled. The Gryffindors we're all staring and muttering to each other. Even Harry looked at me surprised. I sat on the stool nervously. The last thing I saw was Laurence smiling at me before the hat completely covered my eyes. "Another Potter!!" The hat exclaimed. "Like the first one, this one is also difficult. Brave, loyal, intelligent and confident. She has traits of every house. Talented, yes... very talented and smart also. Where should I put you?" I bit my lip waiting for the result. I just stayed quiet and cleared my mind of everything. "Ah... I know... RAVENCLAW!"

The hat was removed from my head and I smiled at Professor McGonagall and she smiled back at me. I headed over to the table of the Ravenclaws. The cheers I got from the Ravenclaws was even louder than the one for Harry. It was deafening and it echoed through the entire hall. "WE GOT THE OTHER POTTER!!!!!" One of the six years shouted and everyone cheered. I laughed at them and they all reached out to shake my hand. I smiled at all of them as they introduced themselves to me.

"Nice to meet you Miss Harriet!!!"

"Congratulations into making to Ravenclaw, Miss Potter!!"

"Guys, please! Just call me Angelica" I said with a huge smile.

"Settle down!" Professor McGonagall said. We all took our seats and watched as the Sorting ceremony continued.

After me, Laurence was called. I crossed my fingers under the table but I was quite devastated when she was sorted into Hufflepuff. I caught her eye and I gave her a small smile and a thumbs-up. Luigi was called afterwards and like he wanted he was sorted into Slytherin. He flashed me a smile before heading over to the Slytherin table. I covered my face with my hands before he could see my blush. The ceremony proceeded.

"Thomas, Dean!"

"GRYFFINDOR!"

"Turpin Lisa!"

"RAVENCLAW!"

We all clapped as a new student joined our table. I shook her hand and she shook mine vigorously and I just laughed.

"Weasley, Ronald!"

"GRYFFINDOR!" I noticed Harry was clapping happily for Ron. Best friends? He's lucky he's in the same house as his best friend. Only two students we're left. The one who joined us in the boat was called and was sorted into Slytherin and the last one who was also sorted into Slytherin. A man in the middle of the High Table stood up. "Who's that?" I asked the person beside me. "That is Professor Albus Dumbledore. He is the headmaster of Hogwarts" she answered. He smiled at all the students, his opened his arms wide. "Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words." He said. I was expecting a welcoming speech or probably the rules but instead he said... "Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you." We all clapped for him and everybody cheered. It seemed like I'm the only one who's a bit confused. "What was that supposed to mean?" I asked.

"I don't know. He is a genius though. Best wizard in the world! But anyway, pudding Angelica?" the person beside me said. I looked at the table and I was surprised when it was filled with dishes and dishes AND DISHES of FOOD!!

I got everything I could grab and started eating. Everything tasted extremely delicious I couldn't stop eating. I may look disgusting, just putting food in my mouth but no one seems to be paying any attention to me so... DIG IN!!!!!! "What's your name by the way?" I asked. "Oh, I'm Katrina" she said smiling. "Katrina Harries"

"Well I suppose you already know me." I joked and she laughed. "Of course! The legendary Harriet Angelica Potter!" she said before biting into her roast beef. "Unlike anyone though, I am not going to stutter or stammer or stare at you. Not because I don't like you but because I just think it's quite weird to do that to someone and not to mention impolite." She explained. "Oh my gosh thank you!" I said. "I've been looking for someone who wouldn't stare at me like I'm a celebrity or something"

"But you are a celebrity to them. Aren't you getting a bit uncomfortable having to deal with all the attention?"

"I do actually. Like I said I've been looking for someone who would just treat me like a normal kid" I said. I was about to get a chicken when suddenly I saw pearly-white figures gliding across the hall. "Are those ghosts?!" I said quite scared.

"Yes, but don't be afraid they're very friendly!" A third year sitting beside Katrina told me. Almost 20, or more than 20, ghosts appeared and they were all gliding across the hall. A woman with waist-long hair and wore a floor-length cloak approached our table. "Who's that?" I asked Katrina.

"That is Helena Ravenclaw but people here call her The Grey Lady" she informed me. "She's beautiful" I said and she nodded. The grey lady started a conversation with some of the students. We continued eating, more like shoving. Everyone was busy eating and talking to the ghost. One ghost, the one from Slytherin house scared me. I heard he's called "The Bloody Baron", no wonder because he was covered in blood. "Well hello." I turned around and the grey lady was smiling down at me. "Hello" I said in a friendly tone.

"You must be Harriet Potter?" she asked.

"Yes."

"They're talking about you over there" she pointed to some of the six years who were staring at me. "I get that all the time" I said smiling. "Welcome to Ravenclaw House" she told me and I thanked her. "Oh hello Penelope" the grey lady turned to the girl across Katrina. "Hello Grey Lady" she greeted her.

We all chatted with the grey lady while we're eating. Once everyone had their stomachs full, the desserts appeared. I was definitely pleased to see ice cream. I got a big cup of vanilla ice cream with hot fudge and crushed cookies and started eating. I took time to observe the teachers in the High Table. Professor McGonagall and Professor Dumbledore were having a conversation, Hagrid was drinking something and I saw Professor Quirrell talking to another teacher with greasy black hair and hooked nose. Then he caught my eye and looked at me.

Unexpectedly my scar started aching terribly; shooting pain ran across my forehead. "Ow!" I said as I placed my hand on my forehead. "Are you okay?" Penelope asked worriedly. "Uhm, yes..." I said rubbing my forehead. "Headache, I guess"

Penelope was still looking worried but I changed the topic. "Uhm, who's that teacher talking to Professor Quirrell?"

"That's Professor Severus Snape. Head of the Slytherin House."

"What's he teach?"

"Potions. But he's after Quirrell's job for years. Snape knows a lot about the dark arts."

I didn't look at Professor Snape again, afraid that my scar might hurt again.

When everyone was completely satisfied, the desserts disappeared and Professor Dumbledore stood up. "I have a few start-of-term notices to give you." He started. "First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well. I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors.

Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch. And finally, I must tell you that this year, the third floor corridor on the right-hand is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death." I pulled a worried face when I heard that.

Not to self: never go there.

"And now, before we go to bed, let us sing the school song!" he said with a wide smile but the other teacher's smiles suddenly faded. Uh-huh...?

We all stood up and sang:

Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,

Teach us something please,

Whether we be old and bald,

Or young with scabby knees,

Our heads could do with filling,

With some interesting stuff,

For now they're bare and full of air,

Dead flies and bits of fluff,

So teach us things worth knowing,

Bring back what we've forgot,

Just do your best, we'll do the rest,

And learn until our brains all rot.

Everyone was singing in different tones, which was kind of funny. The red haired twins we're the last, singing to what sounded like a funeral march. Afterwards everyone applauded themselves. "Ah music. A magic beyond all we do here! And now, bedtime. Off you trot!" Dumbledore said. I don't know why but the last thing he said made me laugh.

"Alright first years follow me!" Penelope said and we all followed her through the crowds out of the Great Hall and up the marble staircase. I am so full right now I can't even walk properly. When we ascended the stairs we passed a couple of paintings and I was startled when they moved and talked and they we're pointing at us. I waved at some of them and they waved back with friendly smiles. We climbed staircases and staircases and STAIRCASES. I'm so tired and sleepy I might just crawl to our room.

Then we reached a spiral staircase and... we ascended that. It was dizzying and tiring. I'm really tempted to crawl right now. Then finally we reached a door with no handle or a keyhole but instead there's knocker in the shape of an eagle. Penelope reached out a hand and knocked on the door. I was expecting it to open but the eagle opened its mouth suddenly. And a soft, musical voice echoed: "What is so fragile, that saying its name breaks it?"

Before Penelope could say anything I already answered: "Silence!" then the door opened. "Nice one, Angelica" she said beaming at me and I smiled shyly. We entered the room. It was wide and circular with a blue carpet, arched windows and a domed ceiling painted with stars. It was very beautiful in here. The room was furnished with tables and chairs and to my delight, bookcases with many, many books!! There was a statue of a very beautiful woman with a quizzical smile stood beside a door. "This is our founder, Rowena Ravenclaw" Penelope said, she noticed that I was looking at the statue. "She's beautiful" I said and she nodded.

"Alright, this is the boys' dormitory and that one's for the girls." Penelope said directing us to our dormitories. "I'll see you all tomorrow. Goodnight everyone" she said before leaving. Katrina and I headed straight to the girl's dormitory where our stuff were already there. "Cozy and comfy!" Katrina said. "I'm going to like it here."

"I want to stay in the common room and read!" I said and she laughed. I changed into my pajamas and got into my very comfy four-posted bed. When everyone was sleeping I just sat there on my bed staring at my hands with a smile on my face.

I am finally with people who are like me. I'm finally where I actually belong. No stupid Averies to bully me. I lie on my bed and removed my glasses. This is heaven I thought. The moment I closed my eyes, I fell asleep.

(A/n: Is Angelica's house unexpected? haha SURPRISE!!!! Okay the thing is I was sorted into Ravenclaw in pottermore so... YEAH :) Oh and It would be quite nice if the protagonist is in a different house right?? :) Thank for reading!! xoxo)