Chapter 29: We face him

"You?!"

Both of them turned at the sound of my voice. Each had a look of surprise upon their faces.

"Angelica?!" Harry exclaimed, "I thought I told you---" I held up a hand at him and said, "Not now" I couldn't believe it. Quirrell? He's the one who was trying to steal the stone? Impossible! My eyes not leaving the unexpected traitor. "It was you...?! All along?" I managed to say. "Yes Potter, it is me." Quirrell answered. I couldn't help but notice the change in his voice. It was much deeper and he wasn't even stammering. "But... But I--- We thought it was---"

"Snape," Quirrell finished for me. "Yes, Severus did have the type didn't he? Next to him who would suspect p-poor s-stutterring P-Professor Q-q-quirrell?" he said as if mocking himself.

I shook my head. "No---no this is..."

"It's true, Angelica" Harry commented and I turned to him. "And it was him----" Harry pointed to Quirrell--- "who jinxed my broom and Snape was muttering a countercurse. When Hermione created a distraction she knocked over Quirrell and he lost his eye contact with me. He couldn't jinx my broom again during my second game now that Dumbledore was around."

"True," Quirrell pointed out, "I cannot do anything to you with Dumbledore just near me but Dumbledore is in London right now, and by the time he's back, I'll be finish with both of you." And he snapped his fingers and ropes came from nowhere and tied me and Harry up. We're both far off from the ground. My heart started to pound really fast.

"You two are too nosy to live. Scurrying around the school on Halloween like that, for all I knew you'd seen me coming to look at what was guarding the Stone."

Harry and I exchanged glances. "You let the troll in?!" we exclaimed at the same time.

"Certainly, I have a special gift with trolls---- you must have seen what I did to the one in the chamber back there? Unfortunately, while everyone else was running around looking for it. Snape, who already suspected me, went straight to the third floor to head me off--- and not only did my troll fail to beat you to death, that three-headed dog didn't even ,manage to bite Snape's leg off properly."

I could't believe this.

"Now be quiet while I examine this interesting mirror." It ws only then that I noticed that he was standing behind the Mirror of Erised. "The mirror is the key to finding the Stone..." he muttered to himself. I caught a breath, he can-not find the Stone or else he will give it to Voldemort and he'll be back! AND THAT'S THE END OF MY DAYS. I guess...

I turned to Harry immediately. "We have to stop him from concentrating on that mirror." I said quietly and he nodded. "Just distract him"

"I saw you and Snape in the forest---" Harry started.

"Yes..." Quirrell said idly, "He was on to me by that time, trying to find out how far I'd got. He suspected me all along. Tried to frighten me--- as though he could, when I had Lord Voldemort on my side." My head started to ache as I heard that awful name.

"I see the Stone..." Quirrell said sounding desperate. "I'm presenting it to my master... but how do I get it?!"

"Keep asking!" I told Harry.

"But Snape seemed to hate us so much." He said.

"Oh yes he does." Quirrell replied sounding amused. "heavens yes. He was at Hogwarts with your father, didn't you know? They loathed each other. But he never wanted you dead. In fact he was trying to save you."

And that is the ULTIMATE surprise for today. "But I heard you a few days ago, sobbing--- I thought Snape was threatening you." Harry added. Then suddenly Quirrell's expression turned from evil to... scared.