Chapter 3 (Brownies and blood)

Chapter 3

One minute Candice was enjoying her volcanic reaction to Nathan’s lips and the next she was being dragged away. She turned around flicking the hands off her and stared into Nathan eyes; which just like hers seem disappointed. She was too busy reconciling , and confused to realize that the ball room was silent and the mellow sound of Mozart was stopped.

“Are you mad?” Leeza hissed. Candice raised her eyebrows and suddenly felt a thick lump in her throat. What has she done? She snapped her head towards Nathan who was terrified, confused and shocked just as much as her. She swallowed the dire feeling and sighed. She began to speak when a loud squeal erupted from through the silent hall. 

“Nathan Kamp Balfour!” his father trudged down the room with his mother running after him. Candice sunk in against Leeza who was no better supporting her. She was forced to stand up straight in the middle of the golden lit room , with her bright fire red dress. Every eye was trained on hers. The two brothers came rushing between their father and Nathan. 

Nathan just looked down at the ground and didn’t seem to want to meet Candice’s eyes. 

“What do you think you’re doing?” He asked Nathan. Eliot let out a deep breath.

“Dad, we’ll talk about this later.” he said standing right in front of him. Nathan turned his head towards his father and met his furious eyes.

“It was a mistake- will never happen again.” Nathan said meaning every last word.

“I will make sure this never happens again; we have no need of your service. Now get out!” he yelled. Candice’s heart instantly dropped to her feet. If the embarrassment of kissing a married man wasn’t enough ; she had been humiliated and discharge from her work. Candice swallowed a deep breath and stiffened her pride.

“I am so sorry sir; I didn’t mean it to happen. If you could just-” she started to say. 

“Get out before I call security to escort you out.” Mr. Balfour said. Nathan grabbed his father’s shoulder gently. His face held no remorse nor did it even hint that he was a bit frightened.  His features resorted back to their usual calmness.

“It’s not her fault; it was me. She couldn’t deny a Balfour dad. Just let her be. It was my fault and I’m ready for the punishment.”  Nathan said looking at Candice who was too busy thinking about running out of the room.

“I will not be the one punishing you.” he said to Nathan. Candice looked around and watched the two brothers stand up a little straighter, and shift into a defensive stance. Candice thought it wasn’t possible to get any more quieter ; but she was wrong. From the stairs came a low breathing sound and everyone including the ever so gallant Balfours turned to look up at the giant emerging from the stairs.

“Nathan-” he said walking up to the group of men. Eliot stepped back to Nathan’s left while Brad took position at his right. Nathan stood in the middle staring at the gray eyed man. 

“What’s going on?” Candice asked. She thought she knew all the family but this man didn’t ring any bell in her mind. 

“Aiden.” Nathan said with a nod. Candice stared in disbelief why wasn’t he scared? Was she the only one who thought her social life and her business might just end. She couldn’t live with being shunned. She knew how that worked. One day you’re kissing  old women on the cheek and delivering flowers to the retirement center and the next you’re at the retirement center trying to just pass on life.

“Do you know what the consequences are of cheating on a Cruder?” he asked with a stifling grin. His hair seemed to be gelled back all the way to the neck; even with the fans on, his hair didn’t move one bit. Which added to the whole image of horror.