Chapter 5 (White Lies)

Three and a half hours later Candice was standing in front of a platinum elevator door. The hall ways were fully circulated with cool air while the center lobby was decorated with a golden chandelier and smelled of rosewood and lavender. Her eyes couldn’t stay focus in one place. The place over all was breath taking. 

The room was shaped into a giant sphere with murals of cupid and Venus painted on the ceilings. Everything had a golden touch to it, even the roses. The decorative wine glasses were made to stand in a pyramid with golden glitter dusted over the rims. 

Everything was just so bright, so rich in color but Candice couldn’t help but feel uncomfortable. 

“You live here?” Candice asked taking her attention away from the busy lobby.

“I own it.” he said without looking at her. He kept his eyes trained on the elevator door. Candice took another glimpse of the hotel and let out an uncontained whistle. Nathan turned to watch her examine the place.

“This is well, amazing!” she said. Nathan nodded gritting his teeth. Candice noticed the sudden change on his face and resorted the rest of the paragraph of compliments in her mind. “Was it something I said?” she asked observing the way his vein popped by his throat.

“No.” he said sternly and entered the elevator. Candice watched him intently hoping he would break down. He kept his cool composure. He was still calm. Except for the popping vein and the frown he seemed at ease. As if he didn’t just kill a man.

“Are you worried?” she asked. 

“No.” he answered back.

“If you don’t want to talk just say so; It’s better than one word answers.” Candice said a bit irritated. His lips twitched into a grin and Candice’s heart started to pound hard against her chest. 

“I apologize. Let’s just say I’m really upset.” Nathan said taking her hand in his. “This way.” he said pulling her out of the elevator. 

Candice watched her hand disappear in his. His hands were wide but the fingers were lean; they were handsome. Candice blushed as his hands tightened over hers. The warmth radiated through his body and into his. If his hands did that to her she couldn’t imagine what his bare chest would feel like. 

Nathan looked down at Candice whose round cheek bones had turned pink. He took a deep breath and led her inside. He watched Candice eagerly as she took in the Majestic Suite. It was suited and built for only his family. Nathan lived here during most of the year but his mother would drag him out of his study for Christmas and Thanks Giving to their mansion. Of course he couldn’t live there for more than  a week. There was so much he could take from his father.

“I thought the lobby was beautiful.” Candice said pulling Nathan along. He still held on to her as she roamed aorund the living room. 

“My mom has exquisite taste.” he grinned.

“So do your girlfriends.” Candice said picking up a red laced thong from the love seat.  She  grinned mischievously; revealing  very small dimples underneath her eyes. Why hadn’t he noticed it before? Her eyes squinted as she examined the red lace before pinching it from the top and extending it towards him. 

Nathan couldn’t keep the picture out of his mind. It was Candice standing in front of him in the same red lace; with her hair tangled into loose curls while her cheeks air brushed with her natural blush. He had to keep his distance ; he didn’t want to ‘sin’ again.

“It’s been a while since I’ve been here. Didn’t have time to clean up. Just do me a favor; if you see any more of those-”

“Lingerie? “ Candice smiled suppressing laugh.