Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Mea Culpa

Reini’s day was officially the day from hell. She had not slept a wink, spending the night tossing and turning, unable to sleep after the mission she had with Samuel. Despite being exhausted, her mind refused to shut down and let her sleep, and as a result, she had fallen asleep at three in the morning and woke at nine.

She had hurried to work, going through her routine as quickly as she could, and when she had arrived at the office, her hair wasn’t in its usual tidy ponytail, her blouse was not tucked into her black a-line skirt, and large eyebags were apparent under her eyes.

Greg took one look at her and made a noise not too different from the noise of a horse falling off a cliff and dying.

“Geez, Reini,” said Greg, flinching yet still looking Reini up and down, “what the hell?”

Reini continued briskly walking to her desk, mentally cursing when she remembered that she had not gotten coffee from the nearest Starbucks. She plopped into her seat, exhausted. “Don’t ask,” she mumbled, closing her eyes.

Greg winced. “You have to fix yourself, Reini dear. I love you, really, but this is just a travesty.”

Reini sighed. “I know, Greg. I know how bad I look, but really, I don’t need to hear your insults right now. I’m too tired to fix myself.”

“What happened?” asked Eena, concerned.

Reini turned her head to look at Eena. “Don’t give me that crap, I know you know.”

Greg turned his swivel chair so that he was facing his two friends. “We’re sorry, Reini,” he said sincerely.

“Thanks,” said Reini, closing her eyes and leaning back. “Unfortunately, your apologies can’t change the things I’ve done.”

Eena sighed, standing up. “Okay, come on, up.”

Reini opened one eye, looking at Eena in confusion. “What?”

“Up,” said Eena, making gestures indicating that Reini should stand up.

Reini groaned and grudgingly stood up, her eyebrow raised. Eena remained standing there, right in front of Reini with her hands on her waist, tapping her foot on the floor in an impatient manner. It was then when Reini suddenly stood up, hugging Eena.

“Oh my God, I’m so sorry Eena,” mumbled Reini. “Happy birthday,” she tried to say cheerfully.

Eena chuckled, patting Reini on the back. “Thank you.”

Reini finally put some distance between them and sighed. “I’m sorry. I must have put a damper on your plans, arriving like this,” she said, gesturing to herself.

“No, no, no,” assured Eena, shaking her head.

“Even if you look like a disgrace to human beings right now,” muttered Greg.

Eena ignored him and held Reini’s wrist, all but dragging her away from her desk. “Come on, I’m treating you to coffee.”

Reini brightened up and smiled at Eena. “The good kind?”

Eena nodded. “The good kind.”

Before Eena and Reini could fully leave the office of Senior Cell Twelve agents, Greg’s voice stopped them.

“Please, for the love of all that is holy and for the sake of all of humanity, please do something about yourself,” pleaded Greg.

Reini just gave him the dirty finger.