Chapter Fourteen

Harry was pacing outside of the Great Hall while Ron had grabbed some snacks and was watching his best friend pace. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...

"You should go up to Malfoy and just say that you're planning on proposing to Elizabeth and she won't let you unless you get his blessing," Ron said while chewing a cracker thoughtfully.

"He's not proposing, Ron," Hermione huffed.

"Might as well be," Ron retorted. "He's been hung up over her for so long that I don't think he has plans on ever being interested in anyone else."

"That's it! Tell Malfoy that you can't see yourself with anyone else and he'll give you permission because you won't hurt Elizabeth," Hermione proclaimed the idea.

Ron rolled his eyes, "Blimey, Hermione, do you think Malfoy would agree to that? Malfoy would just disagree and let Harry be alone forever."

"Well he's got to agree to something," Hermione stated, turning her attention to the Great Hall doors. "Oh! There's Malfoy!"

Draco's silvery eyes took in the trio that was waiting outside of the doors for him. His gang of Slytherins were assembled behind him in a V-shape formation, one often found when ducks migrate.

"Well if it isn't Potter. Such a shame that Dumbledore took pity on you and granted you second," Draco sneered.

Harry sighed, "Look, Malfoy, I don't want to argue with you right now."

Draco looked back to his gang, "Hear that, Potter isn't going to fight back!" His friends laughed evilly.

Harry groaned. He really didn't want to have to snap back before asking for permission. "I just want to talk to you about Elizabeth. After that we can fight to your entire cruel heart's content."

Draco raised an eyebrow, "And why would I talk to you about Elizabeth? I remember you backing off from that, Potter."

"Yeah, well, in case you didn't realize, Elizabeth was sadder than a cat with a half-empty bowl of food because of that," Harry carefully said, placing his reasoning in a way that Draco might agree. "She's happy again, and agreed to go on a date with me." Draco scoffed and his gang fumbled with their robes to get their wand. Harry hurried to continue, "Last time you said that you don't take lightly to 'filthy half-bloods getting close with my friends without permission', so I'm asking for your permission."

Draco looked Harry up and down, searching for any sign that he was lying. Draco knew that Harry's words held truth, Elizabeth had been sad the past month and didn't even beg him to get his mother to send some of the Malfoy manor's books over. She loved borrowing his family's books. And he knew that Harry liked her - a lot. He had the same look in his eye that Draco's father used to get when he looked at his mother. He thought was thinking it over for a long time, just standing there, surrounded by his friends.

Blaise nudged his side before whispering, "Don't say no just because he's Potter. As much as I hate him, blood status and all, he makes Elizabeth happy."

Draco nodded before clearing his throat and addressing Harry. "Alright, but just for Elizabeth's sake. If I hear one word about you hurting her or not treating her right..."

"You have full permission to jinx me if that ever happens," Harry butted in, agreeing.

Draco blinked, startled. "Um... Great. So it's done. You have permission, but this doesn't change the fact that we still dislike you and your Gryffindorks."

"Gryffindorks?" Ron laughed with a cracker in his mouth. He coughed a few times before saying, "Yeah, whatever Malfoy."

"Great. We'll get going then," Harry looked back to Hermione and Ron. The two stood up and joined Harry.

Draco nodded slightly in farewell to the group before stalking away with his Slytherin gang.

"I have never seen Malfoy act so formal," Hermione wrinkled her nose. "It's... odd."

Harry and Ron nodded in agreement.

"I should probably go get ready for my date with Elizabeth. How do you even get ready for a date?" Harry asked them.

Ron shrugged, "Don't look at me, you have about as much experience as I do."

Harry's eyes turned to Hermione in hope that her knowledge knows something about dates. After all, she was the one with a boyfriend, she probably knew something.

But all he got was a shrug, "Viktor's more of a... physical person. He just watches and listens. Maybe try talking to her."

Ron and Harry shared a look, holding back laughter. Because that was ever so helpful.

"Wait, Harry, you mentioned that your date is past curfew... How are you planning on sneaking out?" Hermione asked.

Harry's eyes went wide. He hadn't thought of that. He mentally went over all the possible ways that he could sneak out with Elizabeth.

"Would the invisibility cloak be too much?" He wondered out loud.

Hermione thought it over, "Well.. it would get you out of the castle. Just maybe avoid letting her fuss over it the entire time, that would not lead to a very good first date conversation."

"Why not?" Ron asked. "It's cool! I'd talk about it it on a date if I owned one."

"That, Ron, is why you're single."