Chapter Three - My Cheeks Are A Living Oven

Two great covers made by @armitatehrani

---

I walk step out of Brad's car only to find Daisy and mum at the porch.

"Where have you been Shay?"

The worried look on my mothers face makes me feel guilty once again. Her eyes are red with tiredness evident, her lips tug downwards at the sides, showing her sadness, and her eyes are glassy, and some tears stains are clear, on her blushed cheeks.

"Mum, I was on a walk and lost track of time. I'm okay"

I run forward and give her a convincing hug to say that I'm alright.

"We were calling and texting until Daisy found your phone in your room. I thought you'd ran away!"

Now her tears are falling full speed, and before I can explain, Brad climbs out of the car and walks towards me. His signature smirk is replaced with a genuine smile.

"Erm Mrs Grant, this is all my fault, I bumped into Shay in the park, and we were talking about the upcoming assignments in school and we got held up. Please don't blame her. Blame me."

Did Brad just save my butt?

"Oh, okay. If it was about school its not a problem. Thank you ..."

"Er Brad, Brad Parker. Nice to meet you"

He shakes her hand as I stare, confusion splattered all across my face. I blink several times just in case in imagining all this after the car ride with Brad. But it's true, Brad Parker just introduced himself to my mother.

---

I stretch my arms to the ceiling and push my legs out of the covers. I can feel my hair sticking out everywhere on my pillow, and suddenly a small person jumps onto my chest, making me cough loudly. I try and breathe in but the tiny hands push down on my torso.

Opening my eyes slowly, I manage to make out the figure sat on me.

"It's my birthday!"

"Awh baby, happy birthday Daisy! I think your lizard costume is downstairs somewhere."

I tease her until she starts laughing and understands I'm joking with her again.

Pulling my hand abruptly, she drags me out of my comfy warm covers and down the stairs. We enter the living room, where mum and dad are sat waiting for Daisy.

"Sweetie! Come and open your presents now!"

She runs happily to the table of presents and starts with the biggest package.

"I'm gonna go get a bowl of cereal and be right back okay?"

"Sure!" Daisy replies, in the cheeriest way possible.

I walk to the kitchen, making sure to not step on any of Daisy's toys. Lifting the cupboard door, I take out the coco pops and pour it into the bowl that's already on the kitchen island.

"The milk's finished Shay!" Mum shouts front the other room.

Great. I'll just have to eat them dry.

I ignore the churning feeling of hunger in my stomach, and make my way back to the living room, hurdling over Daisy's toys once again.

She gasps until she can't take anymore breath in.

"A DOLLS HOUSE"

I laugh at her amount of surprise. We dropped a ton of hints before but I guess she had no clue.