The Key -7-

CHAPTER SEVEN

Her father unlocking the shed's door a few minutes before she usually rose in the morning for school, Cara stood up and walked by him without a word. A hot shower thawing her aching limbs, she thoroughly scrubbed from head to toe. Barely drying her hair and selecting not to add any makeup today, she dressed, grabbed her backpack and left the house as quickly as possible.

Stomach growling, Cara stopped at a donut shop on her way to school, inhaling three by the time she pulled into the parking lot. Glaze sucked from her fingertips, she exited the car, slinging a backpack strap over her shoulder. Making sure that her doors were locked, she recognized the voice calling out to her and groaned. Turning around she spotted his smiling face as he approached.

"What's happening, Mack?"

"Nothing, Doug." She pointed in the general direction of their school. "Gotta go." She almost groaned anew when he clutched her shoulder.

"Could I get a dime bag first?"

Reaching up, Cara wrapped her fingers around his wrist, pulling his hand off her shoulder. "We discussed this last Monday--you accosting me as soon as I park." She shook her head. "I don't have anything right now, Doug."

He appeared unconvinced. "Not even a dime bag? You always have something."

In a terrible mood she struggled to keep the glare from showing. "Not today, Doug," she replied in a dangerously low voice. "Either try again another time or find someone else to buy from." Repeating that she had to go Cara took two steps before Doug stopped her by using his body to block her progress and placing a hand on her upper chest.

If he hadn't been so persistent, if he hadn't been so annoying, if he hadn't touched her not once but twice, if she hadn't already felt on the verge of snapping perhaps Cara wouldn't have grabbed Doug by the throat, dragged him toward her car and slammed him into it. Thumb on the left and remaining fingers on the right side of his throat, she squeezed causing Doug's eyes to widen from fear, pain and the inability to freely breathe.

"Doug, you're gonna have to stop pissing me off," Cara said in that same low voice. "You're getting too good at it and when that happens there's a chance I'll hurt you." Cocking her head to the side while gazing at him, her hand tightened. "Do you want me to hurt you?" Of course he shook his head, face beginning to redden. "I didn't think so. When I say I gotta go, when I say I don't have anything, you need to back the fuck off. You dig?"

The moment Doug nodded Cara relaxed her hold. Taking a couple step backwards, she watched him lean over, hands gripping his knees as he gratefully pulled oxygen into his lungs. Not saying another word she walked away.

##########

Realizing that first period would soon begin, Cara entered a classroom that she wasn't in, glad the teacher hadn't yet arrived. It being a science course, instead of desks students sat two per table on stools. Eyes zeroing in on the petite black-haired girl seated at a table nearest the windows along the second row, she headed in her direction. Apologizing for interrupting whatever conversation she and the student seated next to her were involved in, Cara quietly asked if they could talk in private.

"Of course." Brow knit in concern, Joanne studied her swollen and split bottom lip. She would have inquired what happened, but knew from past experiences that the chances of receiving a straight, honest answer were slim to none. She followed the pointed look Cara directed toward her lab partner. Whether he understood what she wanted or not was unclear as he simply stared back with an unreadable expression. Finally, Cara vocally asked him to leave, Joanne sighing when he promptly declined. Did he truly want to risk a beaker being smashed on his head?