The Utmost Sweetness -16-

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"How do you feel?" she asked as they sat in Cara's car outside of the Roundtree home. They left a couple minutes ago after Evelyn helped Cara clean up and tended to her wounds, which were fortunately much more superficial than all the blood and bruising might have one assuming.

Leaning back in the driver's seat Cara smiled despite a split lip. "All things considered I'm good, baby. How do you feel?"

"I'm in your company so I'm great."

Not caring how much it hurt Cara broadly grinned. She wanted to lean over and kiss her, but was too concerned she might not want to stop. Instead she reached out to grab Ellie's hand, linked their fingers and brought it toward her mouth, lips brushing the back of it while she gazed into the loveliest eyes. "What is that saying? Parting is such sweet sorrow?"

"That I shall say good night till it be morrow," Ellie softly finished with a smile. "Shakespeare."

"That dude wrote it?"

Ellie laughed and nodded. "Yes, Shakespeare is the dude responsible for the line. It's part of the play Romeo and Juliet. Basically they're spending time with one another at her balcony and the time has come for them to part company. He doesn't want to leave, she doesn't really want him to leave, but they know he must. So, Juliet ends up telling him that and what I think she means is although I hate to be away from you, I look forward to the moment we will be together again."

It was her turn to raise their joined hands to her lips as the smile returned. "Physical separation may sadden one's spirit yet reuniting delivers the utmost sweetness." Instead of kissing Cara's hand she lifted her fingers out of the way in order to grace each bruised knuckle with her mouth. "I feel that way about you, Cara. How did you make that happen so fast?"

Cara briefly wondered where those butterflies taking flight within her stomach came from. "I could ask you the same thing."

"Are you ready to part from my company?"

"No," she responded almost before Ellie could finish the question. She could tell by the twinkle in those eyes that it was the sought after reply. "But I should take you home. Think I'm already on thin ice with your brother." Cara noticed her look of serenity faded away at the mention of him. "Everything okay between you two?"

Ellie's smile wasn't quite as bright as it was the last time. "Yes, fine. He's just a thorn in my side. You know," she gazed out the passenger window, "typical overprotective big brother." Fingers of her free hand tapping against the glass she uttered the other girl's name.

"Yeah?"

She kept looking out the window watching as the Roundtree porch light switched off signifying that all guests (excluding Joanne) must have left. "I want you to take me into your arms and for our bodies to move as one guided by a melody."

Staring toward Ellie's ponytail Cara attempted to decipher that sentence, two options coming to mind. When she squeezed the hand against hers Ellie regarded her again. "Could be way off, but I think you either want to shag or dance."

"Though I very much wouldn't mind doing the first with you I was hinting at the second." Following her response with a wink she grinned as Cara heartily laughed. "So? Could we?"

"I'm sure we could." Cara checked her watched and promptly sighed. "But it's getting late so I should take you home." She had never given anyone's curfew a second thought, but found it important to follow the rules where Ellie was concerned. She didn't want to give Jeffrey any further ammunition to dislike her and considering the brief conversation they had before leaving for the party she was already on probation. Reluctantly releasing Ellie's hand, she snatched her car keys from the dashboard and jingled them. "We should go. Could I have a rain check on that dance though?"