Bull by the Horns -30-

CHAPTER THIRTY

"Oh God. The worst has happened." Although recognizing she had begun to pout she didn't have the energy to do anything about it. Instead she sank lower into the booth while stuffing a few fries from the shared basket into her mouth. "The absolute worst," she tried saying with her mouth full. Somehow her best friend was able to decipher the few words, a gentle hand rubbing her shoulder.

"What's the worst? What're you calling the worst?"

She swallowed before responding. "Told her to call me, but days later she hasn't called me. Finally gave my heart to someone and now she's pulling away and I don't have a clue why. Broke down and called her yesterday, but her brother answered and seemed quite happy to tell me she wasn't home," she paused to reach for a fry, which she dipped in ketchup before nibbling. "She's not home, but she's not with me. We had an intermission and that should be over. We should be talking, but how can we talk if she's not with me?"

Kirk thoughtfully stared at her. "Are you high?"

"What makes you think that?"

"Because you're talking a lot, kinda rambling here and there and you're eating fries like potatoes are about to become extinct." Case in point he watched her shove a trio of fries in her mouth. No wonder when he called and invited her to hang out with him and Mateo at the popular burger joint, which was having a New Year's Eve celebration Cara asked him to come pick her up. And no wonder she embraced him a good fifteen seconds upon opening the door. Not that they never hugged each other, but never that long unless comfort was needed. However, she had been smiling. Until now.

Cara held her thumb and forefinger about an inch apart. "Little bit. Was smoking in the living room when you called."

"Living room?" Kirk's eyebrows lifted in surprise. "Thought Dennis didn't care if you smoked as long as you did so outside or in your room?"

"That's the rule." She shrugged. "But I don't care. He won't be home tonight. With his girlfriend Mary or Marcy or Nadine or something." Her lower lip protruded. "I wanna be with my girlfriend, but she's avoiding me. Now I'm gonna ring in the New Year with my best friend and his boyfriend. I'm gonna be the only gay at this booth with no lips to taste. I'll have to kiss the fries."

Returning with a fresh pitcher of cola just in time to hear her last statement Mateo placed it on the table and slid in next to Cara instead of occupying his previous position. "Hermosa," an arm slid around her shoulders he offered a smile she couldn't help but to return, "I would gladly kiss you at midnight." Eyes filled with mirth he glanced toward his boyfriend and dismissively waved. "Him? I can kiss him any old time."

Laughing, Kirk munched on a couple fries while observing their interaction. Shifting closer to Mateo, Cara rubbed his cheek, the smile still playing on her lips. Kirk laughed again when she told his boyfriend if she liked boys even a little bit she would be all over his pillow soft looking lips.

All humor evaporated the moment an obviously incensed teenager approached the table having brought another girl with her who appeared anxious rather than angry. Asked if they were having fun the three merely stared. Kirk or Mateo might have answered her, but each suspected that question had been directed toward the person settled between them.

"What's wrong? Can't hear me? You have wax in your ears, Cara?"

"Shouldn't we all? Cerumen, which is the correct medical term for earwax is quite beneficial to not only us humans, but animals as well. Helpful in cleaning, lubrication and offers protection from stuff like nasty bacteria, bugs and water. I think what you meant to ask me was if I had too much wax in my ears." Noticing more than one stare in her direction Cara shrugged. "What? I read a lot and therefore know some random shit."