The C-Word -45-

(hanging head in shame) I'm so so so sorry this next chapter took so long. I'm alive (obviously), I'm all right, just been a busy bee--or a plumb tired one. However, I'm trying to improve because I don't like allowing two months to pass between updates. Anyhoo, hope y'all like this one and you don't wish to bury me in the backyard 'cause I'm turtle slow ;-)

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

Lungs taking a brief vacation from their designated job when she heard the door opening, she watched the other girl emerge from the bathroom. Towel having disappeared and hair appearing halfway dry she didn't so much as glance in Ellie's direction while approaching a standard wooden chair. Dressed in a pair of Lisa's husband's sweatpants and an undershirt she pulled the chair away from the table and occupied it backwards.

Eyes making contact about thirty seconds later, Ellie opened her mouth to speak yet wasn't certain what she wanted to say. Emotions colliding she hadn't figured out which was the dominant. She was nervous because Cara was obviously angry. She wasn't a stranger to witnessing her girlfriend's anger, but it was usually aimed toward someone else.

Speaking of, she too experienced some anger. Did Cara have a right to be pissed with her? Yes, but instead of talking about it she once again left, this time choosing a bathroom instead of going outside to smoke. Quite aggravating.

Guilt over what Ellie attempted to put into motion with her phone call to Sunshine Fairchild circled the nervousness and anger. She repeatedly told herself that she was only trying to do the right thing, trying to protect Cara, yet she felt guilt because she threw a wrench into their pact and went behind Cara's back despite having the best intentions.

Fear. Ellie feared this would be it. Her unsuccessful stunt would sever the progress they had made repairing their relationship since fleeing Maythorn. Maybe Cara had enough and would now recommend they part ways.

Ellie released an audible breath. "So...what are you thinking?" Her heart performed several somersaults when Cara stood up and headed in her direction. She felt foolish when she merely grabbed the pack of cigarettes and Zippo from the nightstand and repeated her inquiry once Cara reclaimed her seat.

No response immediately forthcoming Cara lit the cigarette and took a couple pulls while observing Ellie with an unreadable expression that unbeknownst to her scared the shit out the girl seated on their bed. "What am I thinking?" Ashtray ignored, she reached behind for an empty soda can, which she flicked ashes into. "I'm thinking," Cara now observed the cola can she held, "that you just might be the most exasperating person I've ever met."

Ellie didn't reply until thirty seconds worth of silence had passed. Since Cara sounded calm the pumping within her chest began to slow. "Why?"

"Do you love me?"

Heat spread throughout her body at the unexpected and unnecessary question. Ellie wouldn't have been much more shocked if Cara just slapped her across the face. "Do I...love you?" Cara's nod barely registered as Ellie was too busy swinging her legs over the side of the bed and sitting up straight. "I'm willing to go to prison for at least twenty-five years to spare your even spending a day there and you have the nerve to ask me if I love you?"

Instead of appearing apologetic Cara snorted. "Breaking our pact and sacrificing yourself yet again doesn't prove your love." She used the smoking tip of the cigarette to point toward Ellie. "You have this insatiable need to put the wellbeing of others ahead of yourself and frankly with every sacrifice you're pissing me off more." Cigarette stubbed out on the can she dropped it inside. "Going to see my dad on your own and asking him to give you a picture of mom, breaking up with me because that asshole you lived with threatened to send me to prison and now willing to turn yourself in and go to prison for two and a half decades. Minimum.''