Part 7 (Teren Santoro)

The weight of the knapsack hangs over my shoulder as beads of sweat roll down my forehead persistently. It has been two weeks since my leaving of the palace. I am in the middle of the desert, with food and water running low.

Just a few more metres, and I'll reach the Skylands.

I heave the knapsack higher on my crouched back as I keep telling myself that once I am done with the illusionist, my work will be richly paid off.

Soon, I see a small, faint, light glowing a few metres away.

Is that.. the Skylands?

I quicken my pace, hoping and wishing that it is indeed the Skylands.

My wish is granted.

There it is, just a footstep's away, basking in its glory. Malfettos roam around, dotting the city. I heave a sigh of relief- I have made it. Finally.

I enter the Skylands and try to keep my calm, but the sight of so many malfettos walking loose unsettles me.

"State your name and your business, sir." a guard appears to my right.

"Um," I stammer,"Joseph Amouteru." I have to create a fake name to cover my identity. Otherwise, I will definitely be kicked out of the Skylands. Residents hate me here.

"I'm Adelina Amouteru's uncle. Her father, my brother, sent me here to take her back to Estenzia. You see, she is quite the rebellious child. She ran away a few weeks ago, but I managed to locate her."

The guard gives me an indifferent look and says he is keeping an eye on me, then leaves me. I heave a sigh of relief.

I roam the streets of the Skylands aimlessly, trying to spot the silver-haired rebel in vain. In the end, I settle down in a motel for the night as I draft out possibilities for where the illusionist may be.

Suddenly, someone knocks a familiar rhythm on the door. I open it to face a young girl, about eighteen years old.

"Mr. Amouteru. I have been looking for you."