Chapter 25 - Revenge

"There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or closing the book."

          We remained in the pit for quite a long time

          We remained in the pit for quite a long time. Other dauntless had joined in and created much life in the pit yesterday evening. Even though I had been really tired my body had ached to go on a run. The restless nature of mine had bothered me quite a bit, making me unable to find any rest at first. Luckily, I found it because I knew we would have today off.

After breakfast I had slipped away, spending much of the day on my own as I explored the city. I didn't return to the dauntless compound before well into the afternoon. The time I had spent on my own had recharged my energy quite a bit.

When I returned to the accommodation, I found it quite empty. Only Elijah remained inside. He was seated on his bed, only leg tucked underneath him, the other bent with his foot resting against the edge. His attention was on a book in his hands, resting against the leg that was lying against the bed. My eyes widened at the sight of a book before remembering he had been erudite as well.

Elijah looked up seconds after I had entered the room. At first, he had seemed annoyed over my disturbance but when he noticed it was me, his expression softened and then hardened. "Octavia." Elijah scooted off his bed after he had closed the book. It remained on his bed when he stood up. "Where have you been, we've been looking for you." Elijah's tone was harsh, and it surprised me.

"I was out running. I told Roxy—" I trailed off when Elijah exhaled deeply. He raised his arms up to wrap them around his chest. "What's going on? Why are you angry with me?" I asked, not hiding I was annoyed at him. Elijah's eyes widened in surprise, clearly looking confused as to how I had just asked him that.

"Angry? I'm mostly disappointed—you should go find Roxy." Elijah grunted at me before he returned to his bed. My lips became a tight line at his tone. "Octavia, go find Roxy. I bet she's in the infirmary. Now that you're too busy with yourself and your boyfriend to notice what's going on around you." Elijah's words stung.

"Fuck you." I sneered, taking a step away. "I have no idea why you're like this, but if this is the tone you're going to use, then stay away from me. I don't need your friendship." I snapped at him. Elijah didn't even look up from his book, though I was certain his fingernails dug into the back of it.

I spun around, leaving the accommodation within seconds. I ran down the hallways I knew would lead me to the infirmary. When I placed a hand on the door, pushing it open, I was met with several figures inside. A few nurses were tending to Luke who was lying unconscious on the bed furthest from the door. Roxy stood near him, tears streaming down her face.

When I entered, I couldn't help but notice Gabriel sitting in one of the beds near the door. He was awake and looked much better as he also had his attention on the working nurses. I ignored the expression he sent me when I moved to Roxy. I placed my hand on her shoulder, squeezing it tightly to let her know I was there before guiding her to me when she turned around.