Chapter 55 - Another promise

"Sometimes it takes an overwhelming breakdown to have an undeniable breakthrough."

It hadn't taken me long to fully come to terms with my resentment towards Tori

It hadn't taken me long to fully come to terms with my resentment towards Tori. She reminded me a little too much of Max sometimes, running her own show and trying to take responsibility of everything. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at her whenever she passed me on the hallways. Roxy had noticed more than once and every time she had to clasp a hand over her lips to mask her laughing.

It wasn't always done as discreetly as it could have been. But for that I only loved her more. Even though I had said to myself not to use Eric's sweatshirt around the others, I hadn't been able to keep it away. And when Roxy noticed my behavior, she guessed right away. It took her mere hours.

So, I had cast aside it all and put his sweatshirt on. I kept breathing in Eric's cologne as I pushed open the door to the infirmary. I needed to speak to Abby. I hoped to find her alone for once. Luckily, I did this time. She was seated on her bed, a book in her hands as she tried to make the time pass. She lit up in a smile as I ran to her and embraced her.

"Sweetie, this cologne—its Eric's." She whispered the last few words as she released me again. I nodded before sitting down on her bed. Even she recognized Eric's cologne. "Spill—what have you been up too?" She demanded as I folded my legs underneath me after I had slipped out of my shoes.

"I was restless yesterday, so I left candor and ran to the building I had showed Eric a year ago. It's where I found him after he had beaten Gabriel, where we kissed for the first time as well." I began and squirmed because Abby only smiled wider. "He was there—gave me quite a fright because he jumped down behind me, gun raised, until he realized it was me." I blew out a breath of relief, the same did Abby before she reached for my hand.

"Did you only see him?" Abby asked hopefully. I didn't have to guess who she was talking about. I shook my head and grabbed her hand with both of mine. Her eyes went wide, and she tightened her hold, tears swelling in her eyes even before I could reply properly.

"Val was there as well—he looked good, considering the circumstances." I spoke weakly, almost whispering because I didn't want any of the others to listen in on our conversation. Abby broke down and pulled me in for another embrace. "Abby, I'm going to meet Eric again tonight, shall I make him bring a message to Valentine?" I asked and she released me instantly.

"Yes—please Tavia. He needs to know I'm still alive." Abby reached below her neckline and brough out a silver chain where two rings hung, also silver, like the promise rings Eric had made for him and I. My eyes dipped to the silver ring on my finger, I spun it once before raising my eyes again.

Abby was taking the chain off, slipped off the biggest ring and passed it to me. I held it securely. At first, I couldn't think of anywhere to place it securely, then I remembered the chain around my own neck. I pulled it out from underneath my shirt and got the ring secured on the chain. "Thank you!" Abby cried and took me into another tight hug.