Chapter 1

ISABELLE'S PERSPECTIVE

>Real World<

"Isn't Axel Blaze the hottest thing you have ever seen?" I ask my friend Tanvi as I swing my locker open, revealing a poster of him.

"Wait, nevermind, don't answer that." I tell her as she rolls her eyes.

"How can you be in love with an anime character? He doesn't even exist." She tells me. 

"Hey, I can marry him if I want to." I tell her.

"I know, I know, Obama passed a law stating that people in the US can marry 2D fictional characters. You've told me a million times." She says, trying to surpress a smile.

"Isn't it great, though?!" I tell her. She laughs.

"Guys, if you don't hurry up you're going to be late for P.E." My friend Nathaniel tells us, as he swoops by.

"I'll take my chances." Tanvi answers.

"How can you guys hate P.E.?" Nathaniel asks us. Tanvi rolls her eyes.

"You would too if you sucked at basically every sport!" I answer defensively.

Tanvi nods as Nathaniel turns the corner of the hallway. He's late, too.

"Are you done yet?" Tanvi asks me. I pull my P.E. clothes and shoes out of my locker.

"Yup! Come on, let's go!" I say as I drag her by the hand.

"God, child! Slow down!" She tells me as I speed away.

"Soccer. Our next unit is soccer." Mr. Ferolino, our P.E. teacher tells us. 

The boys cheer, but us girls, we just stand there. 

"Hey, Isabelle, you should be good at this one, I mean, you are obsessed with Inazuma Eleven, an anime about soccer." Tanvi tells me as she pokes my ribs.

"That's a totally different thing." I tell her.

I prove it during this one hour of torture where I fall on my face multiple times, miss the ball when I try to kick, and end up in the nurse's office with an ice pack pressed against my ear.

I really suck at soccer. It's funny. Watching an anime about soccer makes me want to play it and be good at is so bad, but then when I try, I fail miserably and end up in the nurse's office, like today.

After a few minutes of sitting there with an ice pack pressed against the side of my face, the bell rings for lunch and the nurse dismisses me.

I walk down the hallway and stop a few paces before my locker. On the ground is a friendship bracelet, made with blue, yellow, and orange threads that have been braided. A small charm shaped like a lightning bolt hangs off of it. This is basically my type of bracelet. If Inazuma Eleven was a bracelet, it would look like this.

I look around and then quickly snatch the bracelet off the floor. I slip it on. It's mine now.

I open my locker and get my lunch, then head to the cafeteria. 

"Not. Funny." My friend Veronica says as we joke around about her and a boy named Neo being soulmates. I honestly think they are perfect for each other, but Veronica doesn't. 

I steal one of her fries. "We weren't trying to be funny." I tell her as I nibble on the french fry. 

"Hey! Wait, Isabelle, that bracelet's new. Where'd you get it?" Veronica asks.

"Oh yeah, I just noticed." My friend Clarissa adds to the curiosity. All the others nod in agreement.

"If I'm not mistaken, those are the Inazuma Eleven colors and that's the lightning bolt, their sign." Tanvi says.