15: What if Clay Didn't Come in Time to Shield Starflight from the Volcano?

Fatespeaker's POV

"Starflight, please," I pleaded, "Come on. We've got to go! It will erupt soon!"

And Starflight turned to look at me while the NightWing he was helping scrambled into the tunnel. It was hard to know how he was feeling. There were too many emotions etched across it. Bravery, determination, sadness, longing, love.

"I can't. I have to stay until everyone has gone," he looked sadly at me.

"You don't have to do this!"

He sighed, "I know. Don't you understand why I'm doing this? I'm not doing because they're my tribe."

It dawned on me, "You're being stupidly noble."

He smiled. As small and as sad as it was, I loved it.

"That's one way to put it."

"Promise me you'll stay safe?" I tried to hold back the tears.

"I can't. That would be lying."

"Starflight!" Glory called from behind us, "Let's go!"

"No," he shook his head, "I want to get everyone else out first."

"Even Morrowseer?"

"No. Even I'm not that nice. Just go, I'll see you later."

Glory hesitated but left through the tunnel. The RainWings followed her.

"I love you, you know that, right?" I hugged him tightly.

"Yes, I do. And Fatespeaker, know this: I love you. And you're not Sunny's replacement. I love everything about you. The way you laugh, the way you smile, everything." And he kissed me.

We broke apart when we heard a loud rumble in the distance.

"Go," he said, ushering me to the tunnel, "Go!"

"I don't know how to say goodbye."

"Then don't. I won't say goodbye. You won't say goodbye. I'll say this instead. See you on the other side."

I turned to look back at him before entering the tunnel. The times I had with him passed before my very eyes. I remembered the first time I saw him, a scared, insecure dragonet, unsure of his destiny who believed himself to be a coward. I told him he wasn't, but he didn't believe me. He thought I was just trying to be nice. But now, standing before me, was the bravest dragon I ever knew.

"See you on the other side," I told him.

I turned and ran down the tunnel, leaving him to whatever fate had ready for him. He would make it. He had to.

Starflight's P.O.V.

There was one last dragon left, who was younger than me. She was so small.

"Come on," I urged her, "You're the last one. We can do this."

She looked up at me, her eyes shining, "I'm scared."

"I know. But safety is so close. Please, get to the other side."

"Is Mommy there?"

I remembered a frantic female dragon from a few minutes ago, asking me desperately if I knew where her daughter, Nightfall, was. I told her that her daughter would be safe and to get to the other side.

"Yes. She is, Nightfall."

She didn't ask me how I knew her name, she just nodded and went to the tunnel. Before going further in, she looked back at me and said, "Thank you, Starflight."