:06

"NOAH CAN YOU get down here please?" My mother's soft but firm voice infiltrates my mind awakening me from my short slumber.

I check the time on my phone. 8:00. That means I couldn't have been asleep for more than an hour. It feels like a lifetime ago when Finn dropped me home, but it couldn't have been more than two hours ago.

I groan in annoyance at her sudden inclination to wake me up. Usually when she comes home from work she kisses me goodnight and leaves the room assuming that I've made myself dinner, done my homework, and took a shower already. I liked that routine.

"Yes mother." I respond gruffly making my voice sound extra sleepy so she'll feel guilty about waking me.

"I have a surprise for you downstairs." She replies with hopeful desperation in her voice. That same hopeful voice she uses when she tries to get me to laugh and talk with her. Despite my hesitation I reluctantly pull my warm thick cotton sheets that engulf me off me and pad my way down the creaky wooden steps to see what surprise awaits me.

"We're in here." I hear her coo from what sounds like the living room. We're. As in there's someone there for me. My blood runs cold, dread flooding in the pit of my stomach. Who could be waiting for me?

I follow her voice like she's the piped piper and I'm the doomed kids waiting for my untimely demise. My feet keep moving forward until I'm in the living room.

My eyes first land on my mother, who's standing awkwardly still, with her hands clasped in front of her, and a forced smile- more like a grimace, plastered on her anxiety ridden face.

Then they roam over to the figure standing next to her and the dread that was pooling in my stomach over flows until I can't even breathe properly. No. This can't be happening.

The tall strong figure that used to carry me up the stairs and into my bed when I fell asleep watching cartoons downstairs.

The handsome ebony face that my mother used to be transfixed by.

The broad smile that used to warm my insides and make a seemingly rough day of third grade instantaneously better.

The man who now stands with outstretched hands seemingly expecting a hug from me, even after being gone and unheard from when I needed him the most.

My father.

I stand there in utter shock and disbelief not reaching for him in the slightest but not backing away either. I'm rooted to the spot.

The broad smile plastered on his face dissipates into a slight frown and his hands lower and fall limply to his sides with a soft thud, when he takes in my reaction.

My mother sends a panicky look between my father and I. "Noah your father has decided it best to stay with us for the next two weeks to help us adjust to our new life here. And uh, connect better with you, so you can get better."

At the mention of that my father attempts another smile. "That's right baby, daddy's home."

I can't help but let out a boisterous laugh at that statement. "You haven't been much like a daddy these past months." My words come out sharp and accusatory bringing even more tension into the room.

My dad stumbles back slightly like I've hit him, a hurt expression readable on his face.

My mother looks like she's about to cry, guess this wasn't the happy reunion she was expecting.

"Noah I'm sorry if you feel that way, but I was dealing with my own things too. With Claire and and the kid, and not getting that promotion that I was looking forward to for the last two years. Then my oldest daughter getting in an accident. It was too much to deal with at that time. I just couldn't handle it all."