:08

"I'M GOING OUT tonight." I declare to my parents when I emerge from my bedroom and into the living room, clad in all black, something Finn insisted on. Somehow it makes the whole operation seem even more ominous and dangerous.

They pause from their wine drinking to look at me curiously. "With who?" My father asks as he downs a big gulp from his glass. They're currently chatting over wine and dainty snacks including cheese and crackers. My father already looks a bit tipsy. Since when did they become so buddy, buddy?

"Finn." I answer with one word. Ms. Johnson already spoke to them about the arrangement between him and I, and they surprisingly agreed on it, although my dad somewhat grudgingly.

He narrows his eyes suspiciously. "You've been spending an awful lot of time with that Castillo boy. Do you have anything you want to tell us?"

I keep my facial expression as blank as a white sheet. "No."

He shifts in his seat with his wineglass still in his hand."Well I don't think your mother and I feel comfortable about allowing you to go out this late with some strange boy, especially on a school night."

"Oh please I'm almost eighteen and it's only ten." I answer back with indignation.

"I don't care if you're twenty one, as long as you're staying under our roof, you have to abide by our rules little girl."

"You don't even live here!" I yell in disbelief. Who does he think he is?  "Mom?" I look to her for help. She looks back at me helplessly.

"Noah you know how your father is. He's always been overprotective." She finishes lamely shrugging her shoulders. Geez thanks mom for backing me up.

Just then a nearby horn honks sounding like it's coming from our driveway. That must be Finn.

My dad must realize it too because a smug grin etches across his mouth. "You're  not going."

I make a run for the door.

"Noah don't you dare take a step-"

I slam the door closed behind me and make a dash for Finn's truck. "Step on it!" I exclaim as soon as I get in. Finn peels out our driveway as soon as my dad manages to make  it out the front door, wine glass still in hand and a surprised look etched on his face.

As I watch his figure disappear through the rearview window I let out a loud laugh, adrenaline coursing through my body. I've never disobeyed my parents like this before. 

"What was that all about?" Finn ask eying me curiously.

I wave my hand. "Oh nothing. Just my father trying to tell me what I can and can't do."

I see a ghost of a grin light up on his face and I find myself beaming at his seeming approval.

"Dads suck." He answers shortly.

"Yeah they do." I agree.

"So what are we doing tonight?" I ask changing the topic.

His grin grows wider. I've never seen Finn so happy before, its a shame that it's a result from the thought of making someone's  life miserable.