Chapter Three: Ordon

Link introduced me to his beautiful brown mare, Epona. She seemed to already be comfortable around me, which only confirmed my suspicions about knowing Link before now. If only I could remember.

Link swung up on her back with practiced ease. It is easy to tell that he has been riding his entire life. I'll be safe, right? Why do I get the feeling that I hate horseriding...

A few hours later, I get my answer. I'm horrible at it. I literally clung to Link's waist like a girl the whole time. He just grinned back at me and urged Epona to go faster. Every once in a while, he snuck a carrot into her mouth. I'm not quite sure where the carrots came from.

Anyway, many hours later, we rode into a small village. There were a group of teenagers hanging out by the water. All of the adults seemed to be inside. Link mechanically pried my fingers off of himself, as if he was used to it. I frown, both for his abruptness and his casual way of doing it.

Smiling up at me, he offered his hand. I took it, and he held on to it while his other hand went around my waist. When my feet touched the ground, there was a moment when my memories took over and I almost kissed him. But then a wind blew through, taking my memories with it. Link brushed my hair out of my face before walking over to the kids. They looked up as he approached and ran to him. I heard the sole girl squeal.

"Link!" She exclaimed, batting her eyelids. "I knew you would come for me."

"Meet Beth." He says, turning to me. "She's thirteen."

"Soon to be fourteen." She adds pointedly.

"And I'm still 22." Link replies with a sigh.

"Link!" One if the boys shouts. "I learned a new move!" He says, pulling out a sword, not nearly as impressive as Link's.

"Go ahead, Talo." Link says, smiling. The fourteen year old (at least he looks that old) swings the sword expertly for one his age.

"How did I do?" Talo asks.

"Great, but you need more control. Use less force if you need to. Just figure something out so that you can aim the swing."

"Okay!" Talo says, running away. "Come on, Malo! Mom is waiting!" A ten-year-old follows his older brother. That leaves one boy. The poor guy shuffles his feet.

"Hi Link." He says nervously.

"What have we been working on, Colin?" Link asks.

Colin smiles. "My confidence." He says.

"Because...?" Link asks, although he already know the answer.

"I want to be as brave as you." Colin says, straightening slightly. This enables him to actually pay attention to me. His eyes widen.

"Is that Midna?" He asks.

"Yeah. But she doesn't remember me." Link replies.

Colin leans forward to whisper to Link, but he's really loud at it, and I seem to have good hearing. "She's been gone for a year."

"Yeah." Link says, wondering where Colin could be going with this.

"What about mini Link?" Colin asks.

Mini Link? So Wolf boy has a girlfriend....pity.....

Wait. Did I just call him Wolf Boy?

"Midna." Link says, and I realize he is in front of me. "Do you remember anything of the past year? Your amnesia started a year ago, and shouldn't have carried over."

"I'm going to say again. I don't trust you with telling me information." I say. "But maybe I'll help you understand. Just because you didn't let me fall off the horse."

He winces playfully. "So we're back to this stage, are we? Okay."

"I do not remember anything of the past year. I woke up yesterday...wait the night before...by a lake, and ended up in Castle Town."

"Which lake?" He asked quickly.

"Hylia." I said, having read a sign on my long trek to Castle Town.

This seems to have information for him. "That's near the Gerudo Desert, and therefore the Mirror...maybe the Light Spirit summoned you here."

"That is the most mumbo jumbo I have ever heard." I say dramatically. "Are you sure we speak the same language?"

Link bites his lip, either out of sorrow or to stop himself from talking.

"Link!" A female voice calls. Link and I both turn to look at a girl our age as she runs towards us. "Colin told me you were here!" She reaches our side and grins when she sees me. "Midna!" She hugs me tight. "I haven't seen you in a while!"

I am shocked at the embrace, but my arms wrap around her.

"It's nice to see you too, Illia." My mouth replies. I reach up and pull her braid out playfully.

"Hey!" She shouts, still smiling. I fix her now flowing hair around her shoulders.

"Seems I was right about you only remembering emotions. It's like your body responds while your brain follows, not really understanding." Link says.

"You still have amnesia?" Illia asks. "I could help..."

"No!" I suddenly yell, shocking everyone. "I'm fine! Why does everyone keep asking if they can help? I can do it myself."

"Midna." Link says, putting out a calming hand. "Put your arms down."

I look down and see that a ball of dark energy is forming in between them. "Link," I whimper, my anger gone. "What's happening?"

"You have magic." He says quietly, walking up to me slowly. "It is difficult to keep in check. I was wondering when this would happen..." He gently grabs my arms and lowers them to my sides. The ball of energy disappears. I am shocked to feel a tear on my face. It has to have been from the shock. Right?

"I'll go back to my house." Illia says quietly. "If you need anything..."

I nod dumbly, and she walks away.

Link wipes the tear from my face. "It's fine. You didn't hurt anyone."

I shake my head. It's not that. I just want to remember my memories, I think to myself.

"I know you do." He says, pulling me into a hug, which I don't resist. I don't even mind the fact that he just read my mind. "Come on. Let's go to my house. Maybe that will help."