Chapter Seven: A Journey Begins

LINK'S POV

"What are you going to do, Link?" Colin asks. It's hours after the stand-off. We had already cleared away Zant's body, collected my sword, checked over everyone, and fixed a house. Colin followed me to my house, and watched patiently as I destroyed a cabinet. It's not really something a hero would do, but he seemed to think it a normal reaction. I had just gotten Midna back, only to have my own weakness steal her away.

"I'm going to go find her." I reply, sighing and taking off my shirt. I dip my hands in a bowl of water and wash off my now-closed wound. When the blood clears, I am surprised to see a Twilian mark on my skin. I vaguely wonder if I will still turn into a wolf in her world, since she is no longer transparent in mine.

"Where are you going to start?" Colin asks.

"I'll go to Castle Town and talk to Zelda." I say, walking over to the destroyed cabinet. I shuffle through the wreckage to find a new tunic. I put it on, followed by my sword and small satchel. I hear Colin move around through my weapons cabinet, so I turn around. There he is, holding my first sword-the Ordon Sword. He smiles and buckles it on his waist.

"So when are we going?" He asks.

"Colin, you can't come with me." I tell him.

"Sure I can." He replies. "You need someone to reel you in."

"Are you sure you want to go with me?" I ask. "There will be a lot of monsters. I still haven't cleared all of the roads."

"Yeah. I know. But I'm not a kid anymore, am I? You had your first adventure when you were smaller than me."

"I had Navi then." I reply.

"And I know where she is." Colin says. "Besides, I have you."

"You sure do, Colin." I say, ruffling his hair. "Go ask your mother. I'll be out in a minute."

"Yay! Thanks, Link!" He shouts, showing his inner child. The door swings shut after his receding figure. I shake my head and smile.

"Okay, Midna." I say, looking around my house before I leave. "I'm coming for you."

Then the door swings shut behind my own receding figure.

"Make sure to be careful, Colin." Uli, his mother, says, holding the tiny Lissa in her arms. "Link, make sure to look out for him."

"You know that I will." I say, hoisting Colin up onto Epona.

"I'm sorry that I don't have my own horse, Link." Colin says from above me.

"That might not be a problem for much longer." I reply, smiling up at him. His eyes widen in delight.

"Link." Uli reaches into a bag and holds out some rupees. I smile and shake my head.

"I've been wanting to buy him a horse for a while now. He's a good rider." I close her hand. "Besides, I have plenty of money. I should be the one paying you."

She shakes her head. "You truly are a remarkable man, Link." I smile, and turn to get onto Epona. "Link!" She calls. I turn back. "Do me one favor."

"Yeah?" I ask.

"Your child." She says. "When you find Midna and she has your child, settle down somewhere. Let the child grow up with its family around it." She looks down at little Lissa, sleeping in her arms.

"You know Rusl tries his best..." I say.

"I know he does. I didn't mean for that to come out bitter. But when you see him, tell him to come home every once in a while." She says. "And you too, young man." She says, shaking a finger at Colin. He smiles.

"You know I will, Mama." He says.

"Go on, you two. Don't let me keep you waiting." She says. I get up behind Colin on Epona, letting him take the reigns. He starts her at a trot.

"And above all, make sure to have fun!" Uli calls as we leave through the front gate.