Chapter Eight: Castle Town

LINK'S PERSPECTIVE

Colin was very excited to see Castle Town. It was easy to lose my worries around him. I even let him drag me from building to building as he explored. I laughed along with him as he looked at merchandise, spoke to people, and played games. He even made friends with a homeless child. The poor girl was terrified of anyone who neared her. Colin was the only one that she would allow to approach her. He talked casually to her for a while, making her forget her worries, and then introduced her to me. The girl had no name, so Colin gave her one. Bukuri. It means 'beauty'. The poor homeless girl cried from happiness.

Colin then led me through some more shops until we reached Telma's Bar. Everything suddenly becomes real when I enter the tavern. Colin's magic seems to wear off.

"You're back soon." Telma remarks.

"A lot has happened." I reply.

"Have a round on me and spill it." She says. I look around. Rusl, Ashei, Auru, and Shad are in their normal corner, pouring over maps. As Zelda's official advisors, they take their jobs seriously.

"Hey Colin." I say. "Go talk to your dad, okay? I need to talk with Telma. When we're both done, we can visit the stables."

"Dad's here?" Colin asks.

"In the corner." I point, and he follows my finger.

"Dad!" He runs over to his father, a child once again.

"Who was that?" Telma asks as I sit down. She sets a mug in front of me. Thanks to the Triforce, I am no longer affected by alcoholic effects, but I still drink it out of habit.

"Colin. One of the village boys. You met him all those years ago in Kakariko." I inform her.

"Was he the shy boy that clung to your leg the whole time?" She asks thoughtfully.

"Yeah." I smile at the memory. "He's gotten a lot better. I'm proud of him."

"Anyway, how did it go with Midna?" Telma asks, raising her eyebrows. "I saw you two leave a couple if days ago, so I had Auru inform the Princess you would be taking a break."

"Thank you, Telma." I say, hanging my head shamefully. I had a great job as a captain and a Knight of Hyrule, and I had abandoned my post without warning. I should have told someone.

"Dear Goddesses, what happened to make you so sad?" Telma asks.

I smile slightly. Telma is such a mother to me sometimes. Then I bite my lip when I remember what happened.

"You know Zant?" I ask her to jog her memory. I had already told her of my whole journey all those years ago.

"I remember the crazy loon." She leans forward, concerned. "What about him?"

"He came back." I reply. "Somehow he knew my fatal flaw. I've always wondered if my actions were justified. I killed so many just to get to Ganondorf."

"They were monsters, honey." Telma says quietly, even as she knows my reply.

"They don't know that! All that they know is I kill their families."

"They might not have a conscience. For all you know, they could act purely on instict." Telma replies.

"It still doesn't justify my actions."

Telma sighs. "I can only give you my opinion. I can't change yours. What were you leading to?" She asks, directing me back to the story.

"Zant asked me if I had ever seen Gannondorf kill any living thing. I haven't. For all I know, he raised his blade against me in defense. I was the invader."